Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Figured Something Out Today >

I Figured Something Out Today

I Figured Something Out Today

Old 07-04-2017, 10:24 AM

I am so with you when it comes to log cabin blocks. I don't know what it is with them but I just don't like making them. I have tried different ways but it just comes down to the fact that they are boring and repetitious and nothing changes as you sew them they just get bigger. So I totally agree with you I don't like making log cabin blocks. However I need to get over it and make a row of small log cabin blocks for a row quilt I am doing in my quilt guild.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

I feel that way about Grandmother's Flower Garden and Pineapple blocks.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:45 AM

I love making wonky log cabin blocks. The only thing consistent is the center square. After that I just add strips until it's about right. One side might be 1" and the next 3/4". It all works out in the long run and looks great. PS. Nothing to match but the corners once I square them up to a consistent size!
Old 07-04-2017, 12:44 PM

We all develop our favorites and are not-so favorite patterns,blocks, color combos, just as we do with food, movies,everything in life. There are so many hundreds of other patterns, just don't fuss with doing a log cabin. We quilt to make ourselves happy, so why do it if it doesn't give make us feel good. The other problem is that you have decided you don't like making a log cabin, so, if you force yourself to try another one, you will struggle with it, any tiny imperfection will jump out at you and you will feel frustrated. Just don't do it! Go have some fun and be creative!
Old 07-04-2017, 12:54 PM

Thank You Sunny580 I was just thinking about getting these rulers yesterday. I'm glad to know that they do help.
Originally Posted by Sunny580 View Post
I didn't like making log cabin blocks but loved the quilts. Tried the following and now love them.

[url]https://www.frommarti.com/LC_cut_right.shtml[
Old 07-04-2017, 01:19 PM

I agree about using the paper piecing EZ piecing s super easy to use. Check it out before you quit
Old 07-04-2017, 02:48 PM

I didn't like the first 2 results I had with log cabin blocks. So I paper-pieced the 3rd. Was happy with the results but don't think I would make a bed size quilt with log cabins. I really didn't like making the disappearing 4 patch. But I love making New York Beauties, the paper foundation method.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:24 AM

Whew! I thought I was in the silent minority about not liking log cabin blocks. My reaction may have been due to a very disappointing week-long workshop. I did find the process tedious, but someday may go back to it again. Has anyone tried the Go cutter for log cabin?
Old 07-05-2017, 06:28 AM

I am making the disappearing nine patch. I think this pattern looks pretty good. I have a creative grids ruler and I thought that was the best for me. However, after reading several recommendations on the board, I got a Quilters Select ruler and I like it so much better. I got the basic 5 x 11. It has the numbers going both forward and backward and the whole back of it is coated so your fabric doesn't slip when cutting. Worth the investment. I got mine from Sue's Creating Cottage with free shipping, excellent service too. Sue's website is www.suescreatingcottage.com. I did a search and saw other shops that sell the Quilters Select ruler but none with free shipping. All shops have the same pricing too. I have quite a few Omnigrid rulers and will use them when I can, but definitely prefer the Quilters Select.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
Here is a tip for a better log cabin. Make the last round bigger and then trim to the perfect size. If you are using 2 inch strips---make the last round 2 1/4 or even 2 1/2. Volia---perfect.
I have done it that way too.and it does make better blocks. For some reason log cabin blocks are hard for me. Strip piecing doesn't work for me> I have to make one block at a time. I have done two LC quilts and I don't think I will be making any more soon