Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What about quilting/piecing do you prefer/not prefer? >

What about quilting/piecing do you prefer/not prefer?

What about quilting/piecing do you prefer/not prefer?

Old 07-04-2017, 05:34 AM

I hate to sandwich the finished quilt top. That's why I have a whole pile of quilt tops that need to be quilted!!! If anyone knows of a GREAT tutorial that will get me off my backside and get these tops sandwiched I would love a PM so I could learn to love this final step. Thanks in advance, Susan.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:38 AM
bj

I really like the piecing part. I like paper piecing, though it's sometimes a little tedious. I avoid appliqué, possibly because I'm not very good at it(0: I don't like basting the layers together. It takes me forever and I always have to redo parts/all of it at least once. But, all in all, quilting is my go to pleasure.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Texas_Sue View Post
I hate to sandwich the finished quilt top. That's why I have a whole pile of quilt tops that need to be quilted!!! If anyone knows of a GREAT tutorial that will get me off my backside and get these tops sandwiched I would love a PM so I could learn to love this final step. Thanks in advance, Susan.
Here is a stress-free way to sandwich quilts (if you're fortunate enough to have space for a long table) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_EjBGz5vGQ

Congratulations on your blue ribbon, Mavita! Would love to see a photo of the quilt.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

This a good conversation and for everyone who is a beginner in this craft I just want to suggest not to be swayed away from new techniques that are disliked or scary, hard or hated. None of us know if we like or dislike something unless we try it. It takes time and sticking to a new thing for at least a while before deciding one way or the other if we want to continue a technique. Life is to short not to try new things. We all find our own way but with the help and encouragement of others.
peace
Old 07-04-2017, 06:35 AM

Thanks so much, Joe'smom! Very helpful and now maybe I can start getting more quilts actually quilted.

Susan
Old 07-04-2017, 07:59 AM

Default Basting

Originally Posted by PatPitter View Post
I really despise basting. I've tried so many different methods and still struggle. Last night I pin basted a 48-inch square quilt. You might think that would be easy, right? Nope. The backing has a print that makes it obvious if the edges are not lined up. I clipped the backing, batting and top to the dining room table. I pinned it to with an each of it's life. Took it off the table and one corner was not right! I think I have straightened it out this morning.

I've only paper-pieced one small bit. It seems so fiddly. Maybe if I was organized and got going it might not be too bad.

I love all fabric. I love machine piecing and machine quilting. I have recently started loving hand quilting and hand piecing. I like applique. I even don't mind binding. I use the machine to attach the binding and then hand sew it down. I like traditional designs and modern designs. It's just that basting that makes me upset.
Have you tried spray basting??
Old 07-04-2017, 08:29 AM

I love so many aspects of quilting!! I love the feel & look of great fabric. I love searching and looking at new quilts and projects to make. Love piecing, have done paper piecing once and will do it again. I enjoy putting the quilt top together (that is probably my favorite part). My least favorite part of the process is sandwiching the quilt! Probably because I have to do it on the floor because I do not have a large enough table. . Also, I have difficulties with fabric selection. I can spend way too much time trying to decide which fabric I want to use in a quilt. Lastly, organization, I struggle with keeping my "stuff" organized!! Happy Sewing everyone!!
Old 07-04-2017, 01:32 PM

My favorite part of the process is putting the fabrics together to create the design. Sometimes a change of just one fabric will make it go from ho-hum to oh-wow (or oh-woe) as the case may be. Playing with fabric is fun!!!

My least favorite part is the actual quilting. I'm just not very good at it. And it requires way to close a relationship with Mr Ripper. I keep trying but so far it's just not working well for me on a consistent basis. I've done some that I've been really happy with but they are still too far between.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by daesy3 View Post
Have you tried spray basting??
Yep, have done spray basting. I still end up with the backing all wonky.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

@ joe'smom, post # 33, Sharons' method is wonderful. Thanks for posting the link.