Boom 19 - Summer

Old 07-05-2017, 05:29 PM

I guess I am just as guilty, as a recipient I've never thought to pay it back. I need to look into that.

Libster - my surgery and radiation was very successful. This is a reminder to all to get your annual screening mammograms, that was what caught my cancer in a very early stage.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:34 PM

Here is a rookie, lurker question, just what is a "boom"? I understand that this is a swap of some kind. So you pick a fabric, it gets sent to eveyone and they make a block of their choosing with your fabric? Is that the gist of it? Does everyone make different blocks for each fabric? Are you adding the needed fabric from your stash? Sorry for so many questions but this is interesting and everyone sounds so excited about it.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
Here is a rookie, lurker question, just what is a "boom"? I understand that this is a swap of some kind. So you pick a fabric, it gets sent to eveyone and they make a block of their choosing with your fabric? Is that the gist of it? Does everyone make different blocks for each fabric? Are you adding the needed fabric from your stash? Sorry for so many questions but this is interesting and everyone sounds so excited about it.
Hi everyone! Welcome to all the newbies.
Tscweaves, BOOM is short for boomerang. as in all the wonderful fabric boomerang back to you as wonderful friendship blocks. You have the right idea - we try to match the fabric and any specific requests from stash but sometimes it just isn't possible. And requests are just that - requests, not requirements. We use whatever block design we think works best with the fabric and our skills. Someone may have a desire for applique, which I do very poorly. A well made 12.5 inch 9 patch would look better than any applique I turned in! 😀😂

Last edited by All2Pieces; 07-05-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:14 PM

You do pretty well have the gist of it. You choose your fabric, send it to the hostess, she sends it out to each player We get to choose what pattern we want to make for you, adding fabric from our stash. We send the finished blocks back to our hostess, who divvies them up and sends the finished blocks back to us. We pay all of our own shipping costs both ways. Our hostess is our quality control. She keeps everything running smoothly for all of us. We all know how much time and work she's putting into this for our benefit. She is much, much appreciated. Without her, there would be no Boom swaps.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:07 PM

Hi everyone. I am also pretty new here and on the board. August will be my one year anniversary. This is my third boom. Since the last one I have been camping with extended family and went on a 9 day cruise in the Baltic states!
It was my first trip to Europe. We took 2 weeks and spent some extra time in Denmark. Sweetie and I cruise with my oldest and her family every year but this was a special trip for all of us. We even got to spend 2 days touring St. Petersburg, Russia. My oldest daughter and I are history buffs, it was her major in college. Fantastic to see it in real life. Now Sweetie and the next door neighbor are prepping for a 20+ day drive from Alabama to Alaska and back, just because they are retired and have the time to do it. Lucky stiffs!! I am stuck working for a living! Plus I have a master's level course that starts online in 2 weeks.

I've been around quilts and quilters all my life. Just kind of picked it up from my mom and her sisters. Sewing is therapy for me when it goes well, a learning experience when it goes poorly. I truly appreciate all the care and work that goes into each block. My ufo pile grows and seldom shrinks, but I am making some wonderful friendship quilts for my grandson-to-be (due in September) to play in as he grows.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:28 PM

"I am making some wonderful friendship quilts for my grandson-to-be (due in September) to play in as he grows."

They are what makes life worth living.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:10 PM

Tscweaves, a Boom and its fearless leader are a group of the most kind hearted, generous, talented, loving women I have ever been privileged to know or be a part of. They are a force for good individually and collectively. As far as I'm concerned they can do no wrong. Oh, and they sew pretty good too! I am honored that they have let me join them 3 times now. They have taught this old lady a lot more than she ever expected or anticipated. I think this is the best group (both of them) on the Quiltingboard. Hands down, the cream of the crop! ❤️❤️
Old 07-05-2017, 11:36 PM

Can't wait til I have a block to work on when the sandman misses my house!
Old 07-06-2017, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
I guess I am just as guilty, as a recipient I've never thought to pay it back. I need to look into that.

Libster - my surgery and radiation was very successful. This is a reminder to all to get your annual screening mammograms, that was what caught my cancer in a very early stage.
Congrats to you. I am a breast cancer survisor since 1985 but I was not so lucky as you. I had to have a mascetomy and 1 yr of chemo and radiation but look at me now I am a survivor. Cancer came back in 2014 (bladder this time) but was caught on time. Just surgery and chemo of 2 mo. I am too stubborn to let cancer get me. So anyone out here keep fighting there is so much more that can be done now.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:32 AM

Here is the fabric I will be using in this swap.[ATTACH=CONFIG]575948[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-010S.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	575948