Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What about quilting/piecing do you prefer/not prefer? >

What about quilting/piecing do you prefer/not prefer?

What about quilting/piecing do you prefer/not prefer?

Old 07-06-2017, 06:17 PM

I like piecing...especially paper piecing.

HATE sandwiching and finishing the quilts. I am Queen of the Quilt Tops. I should rename my sewing room "Roswell" because of all the UFOs I have in there!
Old 07-06-2017, 06:30 PM

Another "YES" to joe'smom. But instead of the wood I took 97 cent pool noodles and a piece of PVC pipe that was the length of what I wanted. I slid the pool noodle over (it was a tight squeeze but I did it) and I wrap my backing......batting.......top and roll it out just like the video. It took 5 noodles and 3 pvc pieces and all was less that 7 bucks. I used to HATE sandwiching but now it take me less than 10 minutes and it's smooth and perfect. Don't mind it at all now.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:07 AM

I love everything about quilting except the basting... Ugh! I'm always trying to improve my methods, but I guess it's because it takes me hours to baste and I know it's all going to be taken out once the quilting is done. And another dislike I have is when my FMQ doesn't work and I need to rip it out--- happens almost every time in the beginning of a new quilt. Once I get over those humps, I'm sailing and happy again. Oh, and I LOVE the feeling of accomplishment once the whole quilt is done! Always makes me want to go make another
Old 07-07-2017, 09:59 AM

I like most everything about quilting EXCEPT getting the backing ready to sandwich.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:38 PM
Banned

I like just about everything about quilting except quilting a large quilt on my domestic machines, it's too hard on my hands so I bought a long arm. I have a unique way of basting large quilts that won't go on the long arm. I tape the backing to the wall, then the batting, then I pin the top to the sandwich. Much easier to do like this than the floor or a table.

Cari
Old 07-22-2017, 12:49 PM

Default great double wedding ring pattern no small pieces

I found a wonderful double wedding ring pattern on kayewood.com called rings that bind. No small pieces and you can get the 1 piece template. I have loved this method and would not want to make it any other way. http://www.kayewood.com/Rings-That-B...?categoryId=-1

i am making the Quilt on the front cover in king size
one of the blocks is attached. Had trouble uploading the leaf block At video can be seen on YouTube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLK...&v=yfifwcg8IJ4
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2204.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	577015  
Old 07-22-2017, 02:43 PM

I love picking out a project and the fabrics to go with it. I do not like cutting or pressing. Basting isn't much fun either. I do enjoy seeing it all come together though.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

My quilting interests have changed over the years. I love hand quilting but for the past few years am trying (very hard) to get moderately good at FMQ so I can quilt more quilts. I greatly dislike paper piecing. My brain just doesn't get it. Way too frustrating to bother with. I'm a native New Yorker and wanted to do a PP New York Beauty but found a foundation instead. I also dislike basting but I'm using Fusiboo with good luck so far. Just iron it on- yes, that's my style. I don't like basting for hand quilting either- haven't used Fusiboo for that, only for machine quilting. By the time I'm done piecing a quilt I'm usually ready to move on. I get bored so I always have more than one project at a time but sometimes I have too many going at once
All in all, there's little I dislike. It's definitely my passion
Old 07-24-2017, 04:47 AM

Hate basting a quilt. In fact I stopped quilting for a couple years because I had so many tops that I was not willing to baste. About a month after coming back to quilting I bought a long arm. Wish I would have been able to do that years ago. My favorite part of quilting is the actual machine quilting so I am loving life right now. I wish I could piece tops faster so I can machine quilt more. Hopefully in a year or two I can start taking in customer quilts. Yes I love it that much.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:33 AM

I haven't quilted a quilt, yet. But like making blocks. Make all with paper piecing. It's sooo easy for me. If I find a pattern (even a traditional one) I try to draw a master & make copies on computer (in past yr I have ceased the temptation to do this, have way too many in files already).. I have way too many orphans!!!