Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need Help Ridding of Aggressive Plant >

Need Help Ridding of Aggressive Plant

Need Help Ridding of Aggressive Plant

Old 07-07-2017, 04:46 AM

Yes, hot water should do it if vinegar didn't. Those must be some plants to survive the vinegar treatment. WoW!
Old 07-07-2017, 10:31 AM

Wow! I learn so many things on this board and not just about quilting. I don't know what the four o'clock plant looks like but the boiling water tip is great. I like fresh mint for salads, iced tea and albondigas (meat ball soup) but would never plant it in the ground. It would just take over the yard. Great tip!
Old 07-07-2017, 01:46 PM

We have an infestation of goutweed aka bishops weed. It is a real nasty 'ornamental' plant that will take over completely. It is actually classified as a noxious weed in some areas. I am going to try the boiling water. Thanks!!
Old 07-07-2017, 06:07 PM

If the 4 o'clocks are anything like hostas, digging the tubers out is not enough. The little, tiny, strings of roots grow back. It's like an infestation. I may have to try the boiling water treatment on them.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:13 PM
Suz

When I applied the 100% vinegar, the leaves wilted and died off but several days there were new shoots. Prisim led me to a discussion on this problem and one of the notations was that she'd dug by a rhizome the size of a football. We had rain all day yesterday and today we has a gully washer late this afternoon to really saturate the soil. I will water again in the a.m. and then try the boiling water trick.

My "Lucy" as sick and had to take her to the sewing machine hospital (an hour away), therefore unable to do the water trick today.

The plants in the second flower bed are blooming and they are a magenta color. Almost red with a pink tinge. They too will be killed or my daughter will take them to her rural setting.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:45 AM

I have planted seeds for these beautiful flowers; and they won't even grow. I had some at my old home and they were annuals; had to replant each year.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:50 PM

PurplePassion, I can rarely get them to grow, as well. I had some mixed pastels one year, and meticulously saved the seeds only from the pink ones. The next year I planted them, but hardly any came up. This year, a very few volunteered, but they are crowded out by other plants.
Maybe once they grow for a couple years, they grow the tubers, but I have not seen them.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:29 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I used to apply a pot of boiling water over fire ant mounds in our yard in TX. Worked every time. Water is good stuff, LOL!
Old 07-10-2017, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I used to apply a pot of boiling water over fire ant mounds in our yard in TX. Worked every time. Water is good stuff, LOL!
Sure beats the chemicals everyone wants to use all the time.