Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for ideas for a fun way to give out a prize during a guild program. >

Looking for ideas for a fun way to give out a prize during a guild program.

Looking for ideas for a fun way to give out a prize during a guild program.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:15 AM
pal

I like quiltingshorttimer's idea - but maybe ask "Who had a birthday in 1987?" ok. I don't know how you'd pick the winner, but we all had a birthday in 1987, right? That might add a few laughs.....
Old 07-08-2017, 08:17 AM

If you have lots of time there are all sorts of games you can play, but if it is anything like our guild, time is precious and a really quick option is best. However, if there is something you are encouraging at your guild, tie it into the drawing. Learning a new skill, bringing a donation to the raffle or community charity table, etc.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:34 AM

I go to a monthly meeting where we sign in as we arrive (the various groups get credit for how many of their members attend the meeting). The sheet is numbered and at the end of the meeting numbers are pulled. Whomever is that number on the list gets a prize. A side benefit is that folks don't leave the meeting early!
Old 07-08-2017, 04:47 PM

How about printing a page with ?? 20-30-50--?? pictures of quilt blocks. Whoever can name all correctly first..WINS!!
Old 07-08-2017, 09:27 PM

Before the program, Mark an x or whatever on the bottom of one of the plates, or pass around a roll of blue painters tape, tell everyone to "take a piece as long as they will need, they get to guess how much to take". No other information is to be given, and they can stick it to the table in front of them. After the program, walk around with a yardstick and measure each piece of tape. Your partner writes the name and length. Put two papers in a container of some kind, one says longest, the other says shortest. Let the oldest guild member draw one piece, and who ever had longest or shortest (which ever is drawn) gets the extra prize.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
You could have two hats--a Guild hat and a Hostess hat. Gather a bunch of unique scraps (ie not duplicates). Cut each scrap in half and place a half into each hat. As members come in, they pick a scrap from the Guild Hat. Later you, the caller, draw a scrap from the Hostess Hat. The winner is the person with the matching half.
What if each of the "scraps" was the same size, eg. charm square, or it could be smaller?
As already mentioned then a matched set in each hat.

When the draw is done, the winner receives all that are in the hat, meaning s/he goes home with a complete set, plus the one, that s/he won.
It could be that others will give her/him the one that they received on arrival.

Even if they do not, the winner has a great selection of fabrics to take home.

Maybe they would create something and return with it for show and tell at the next meeting?
Old 07-09-2017, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

I gave a baby shower once and when each person showed up I handed them a little piece of fabric folded to look like a diaper. Inside one was a chocolate chip . Looked like ...well you can guess what it looked like. Anyway that was the winner of a super prize. You could do something similar. Maybe make tags with words about quilting on them. Then draw a tag and whoever has a matching one wins. Good luck and I'd like to know what you choose to do.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

Pick a theme like who has cats and have everyone stand up. Then have everyone who has one cat sit down, then 2, then 3 and so on. The one with the most cat wins BUT make the quilter give their names to make sure he/she isn't cheating.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
What if each of the "scraps" was the same size, eg. charm square, or it could be smaller?
As already mentioned then a matched set in each hat.

When the draw is done, the winner receives all that are in the hat, meaning s/he goes home with a complete set, plus the one, that s/he won.
It could be that others will give her/him the one that they received on arrival.

Even if they do not, the winner has a great selection of fabrics to take home.

Maybe they would create something and return with it for show and tell at the next meeting?
That's an added bonus to the game. I was thinking to just cut random shape/size scraps from the hostess' stash. Not taking time to measure . But it'd be a fun prize to get a set of charms or candies . After I write my idea, I went to sleep and had a terrible dream that I was at a guild and had to cut scraps for the game as people were filing in. My scissors were dull as plastic knives. The guild leader had bullied me into cutting the scraps, women were bickering about her leadership style and there were about 12 kids under age 13 , bored stiff or noisy but there because grandma said she was lonely and thought they should tag along to learn how to quilt. I woke up feeling tense! Haha
Old 07-10-2017, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
I gave a baby shower once and when each person showed up I handed them a little piece of fabric folded to look like a diaper. Inside one was a chocolate chip . Looked like ...well you can guess what it looked like. Anyway that was the winner of a super prize. You could do something similar. Maybe make tags with words about quilting on them. Then draw a tag and whoever has a matching one wins. Good luck and I'd like to know what you choose to do.
That is a hoot....with the chocolate chip in a fabric diaper! Perfect baby shower game. Many great ideas to consider.