Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Tied quilt >

Tied quilt

Tied quilt

Old 05-12-2017, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I don't very often tie a quilt or pillowcase a quilt but I did both and put it on my Q snap frame. I use a long piece ofembroidery floss and go across the quilt every 3 inches. After the whole top is done, I flip the frame over and cut between the stitches and knot the ends. Here is a picture of the back all knotted. [ATTACH=CONFIG]572814[/ATTACH]

I have the same frame , but I have to ask a question. You said you ran your stitch threads all over the quilt, then flipped the frame to cut and tie it, is there a reason to tie on the back, or is that just your taste? I have never seen one tied on the back, but I wondered if that would look alright. I see that it does. Thank you.

Here an idea I would like to share with all who have this portable quilting frame - At every holiday gathering, I have a gift quilt on the frame, all stitched and clipped. I invite all guests to tie a knot and leave a blessing as they tie it. When the quilt is presented, the story of all who helped tie it and left warm wishes goes with it. I finish tying it Christmas Eve night. So far they have all been tied on the front, but maybe the next one will be tied on the back....
Old 05-13-2017, 04:39 AM

Thank you Tartan, I tie many quilts and have wanted to have the ties on the back. I am a visual person and could not visualize how to follow the quilt pattern on the front and have it tied on the back since I clamp the quilts to a table. DUH! Your picture helped me see the process. Now I have to get a Q snap frame.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:02 PM

I have just started tying my quilts (on the back) and love how they turn out and how quick it is to complete the job. I have one question for those of you who have used this method before -- I have heard that with frequently washed quilts, like a baby quilt, the ties tend to break and have to be repaired frequently. So I have not been using them for baby quilts. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!
Old 07-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KarenInRaleigh View Post
I have just started tying my quilts (on the back) and love how they turn out and how quick it is to complete the job. I have one question for those of you who have used this method before -- I have heard that with frequently washed quilts, like a baby quilt, the ties tend to break and have to be repaired frequently. So I have not been using them for baby quilts. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!
if you use a surgeon's knot, it should not come untied... and leave the ends a little longer. i was just gifted a quilt with ties cut very close and some have come out... and the quilt is practically new
Old 07-19-2017, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

I had trouble with embroider thread when i tied a king size quilt every four inches. kept coming undone even though I did a surgeon's knot. had to replace them with yarn. no problems after that.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:34 AM

Thank you for sharing. I have that frame and never used it because I only tie not hand or machine quilt. I think I will try it out
Old 05-21-2018, 06:37 PM

Default Tying Quilts

I tie my quilts with #10 crochet cotton. There are so many colors and I like to use a color thread that matches the spot where I'm putting the tie. Crochet cotton seldom comes undone although I had problems with embroidery thread coming undone even using a surgeons knot. I tie on the back if the quilt is a more "formal looking" quilt.