Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand work for long road trips >

Hand work for long road trips

Hand work for long road trips

Old 07-10-2017, 08:34 AM

Default Automatic needle threader

Originally Posted by PatPitter View Post
I recently tried to do a little hand piecing in the car. It didn't go well. Seemed like a smooth riding car but not when trying to get the needle in a specific place. The worst part was trying to thread the needle! I recommend you have lots of needles already threaded.
The automatic needle threaded is a lifesaver for threading needles in a car. Have fun.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

I have a needle threader (the push-down version). I bet that would work.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
The good thing is that we'll be in the pickup which sits high so I don't think carsickness will be an issue. As for missing any sights.....DH has eagle eyes and he is great at alerting me to whatever is going on outside. We'll just have to work on him telling me BEFORE we pass whatever it is. "Honey did you see the deer back there?" Nope.
My DH is a skillful driver - but a very impatient one -

I am one of those that while driving, I think I am doing well if I keep my eyes on the road and check my mirrors often - he is one of those that likes to watch the eagle - that is now behind us - as he is going down the road. Drives me nuttier! Funny how he "never" seems to be able to spot yard/garage sale signs, though.

I knit - just squares in garter stitch - so no thinking involved -
I did a lot of hand-piecing when I rode with DH in the big truck. I prepped all the pieces ahead of time, and then had a "design wall" - a 14 x 14 inch square that i pinned the pieces on to make sure I assembled them correctly.
That block could be assembled in two different ways! Which I realized after comparing some of the blocks.

I don't get carsick - but I do need to stop frequently now - fortunately, DH also has to stop frequently now, too!
Old 07-10-2017, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

Fortunately we are pulling the potty along, bearisgray. That's one good thing about trailers.

Pat is a good driver and he knows when he needs to dial it back. This trip will have a little for each of us (astronomy for him, aliens for me) so it's a give and take. We work well together and we both try to find interest in each other's stuff. Except for baseball. I will NEVER develop a liking for that.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:42 PM

Last year I was doing hexagons for a grandmother's garden quilt. That is done now. This year I am working on the Sycamore Rose quilt blocks. I prep. 2 or more blocks (applique pinned) and I sew the pieces on as we travel. We have such a small RV (Roadtrek) that I don't really have room even for a very small machine. I haven't run into any troubles with the exception of perhaps a stray pin now and then. I have to have something to sew and my kindle with at least 4 books any time we head out.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I have a needle threader (the push-down version). I bet that would work.
I have a couple of these and they work great in the car/truck. I make use of the console in the truck to hold all my stuff.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:58 PM

I hand stitched a couple Apple core quilts while traveling. You can use a bigger eye needle for piecing. I just can't bring myself to hand piece something that I can sew. I made too many mistakes machine piecing the Apple core so a perfect project. I'm the driver now, but English paper piecing would be my choice.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:20 PM

I did Appalachian embroidery (18 inch squares) for two queen size quilts. So enjoyed it. I also have x-stitched a set of 12 towels (one for each month) . . . they were really fun! I also pieced blocks for a king-size quilt several years ago. Enjoyed that a lot too. Actually am looking for something to start soon. I read a lot, but I desperately miss having handwork (though I battle carpal tunnel). Someone mentioned getting sick. We live in a rural area and I certainly can't stitch on older (some two lane) curvy roads. But on interstates . . . I'm good to go . . . so far
Old 07-10-2017, 05:51 PM
Power Poster

I do 3/4" Epp hexagons. I love them they are so portable
Old 07-11-2017, 08:37 AM

I can neither read or sew when riding. Carsickness always occurs.