Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Pretty sewing table made with vintage machine bottoms >

Pretty sewing table made with vintage machine bottoms

Pretty sewing table made with vintage machine bottoms

Old 07-12-2017, 08:51 AM

It is beautiful but I couldn't use it as a cutting table - it is way too low. But it would be fun, as leone said, putting in belt holes and a place for a machine. I love using my treadle machine.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:10 AM

Lovely. I have a small table that has a treadle base with a wooden top that my Featherweight sits on here in Maine. I have another larger table that is looking for a home. (Would love to keep it but have to pare down). I have never stubbed my toe...yet.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:11 AM

Oh and Leon's picture just boggles my mind. wink, wink...
Old 07-12-2017, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

Well I just love this. And the base grave yard is just sad. Some body rescue them.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:00 PM
Banned

I'm sorry, but just........no. Seeing things like this gives me all sorts of sad and bad feelings. There are a finite number of these old treadles and machines, and when enough "upcycling"(I detest that term) and "repurposing" have depleted all of them, then what? And please don't tell me about how millions of them were made, blah, blah, blah.........How many of us serious collectors, lovers and users of these old beauties already have machines we can't find the proper treadle base for or an empty treadle base we can't find the right machine for ? So no, I'm not a fan of the tables, chairs, benches, lamps, tractors, book ends, etc.... made from sewing machines and treadle bases.

Cari
Old 07-12-2017, 05:51 PM

I saw a photo somewhere in my wanderings on the web where someone had taken a number of treadles bases and built them into a table. The big difference was that there was a usable treadle machine attached to every treadle base. It was designed to be used, now that was truely cool looking. I wish I could find it again. Otherwise I agree with Cari, I dislike the whole "up-cycle" thing.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:00 AM
Power Poster

I have to agree. I always wonder where the rest of the 'family' disappeared to. Parts are hard to find and then you see so much of this.
Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I'm sorry, but just........no. Seeing things like this gives me all sorts of sad and bad feelings. There are a finite number of these old treadles and machines, and when enough "upcycling"(I detest that term) and "repurposing" have depleted all of them, then what? And please don't tell me about how millions of them were made, blah, blah, blah.........How many of us serious collectors, lovers and users of these old beauties already have machines we can't find the proper treadle base for or an empty treadle base we can't find the right machine for ? So no, I'm not a fan of the tables, chairs, benches, lamps, tractors, book ends, etc.... made from sewing machines and treadle bases.

Cari
Old 07-13-2017, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
I saw a photo somewhere in my wanderings on the web where someone had taken a number of treadles bases and built them into a table. The big difference was that there was a usable treadle machine attached to every treadle base. It was designed to be used, now that was truely cool looking. I wish I could find it again. Otherwise I agree with Cari, I dislike the whole "up-cycle" thing.
Despite the striking statement of former glory these bases make in this use, I can't help but weep for the loss of the complete machine setup. IMHO, nothing beats these old beauties intact and hopefully back in use.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:02 AM

Where was this picture taken? it looks like the Amish auction here in Delaware.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
Is this the one? http://www.antiquequiltdating.com/Th...g_Machine.html
about the third picture down?

I, too, agree with Cari.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.