Group Gift Exchanges

Old 07-24-2017, 05:20 AM

I generally don't participate. I don't need more stuff under 10 or 20 dollars. I prefer to purchase things I like.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

I would really rather just spend time with these people. Giving gifts is so overblown, (USA) shared time and having a few laughs is the best gift anyone can give.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:41 AM

I actually don't care for them. I prefer giving my money to something worthy instead of buying or making things.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:43 AM

The last work gift exchange I did, I got an unendorsed gift card to a coffee shop. I was lucky when I took it to buy a coffee with. I had taught the woman at the counter's three children and we agreed that was strange. That wasn't as embarrassing as it could have been.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:10 AM

I hate knick knacky things especially ones picked by someone else. So, no, don't like them.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:22 PM

Several years ago I was working out of the clerical pool and was invited to join in the Christmas white elephant exchange. I declined because I didn't bring anything. There were extras several people brought so I was talked into participating. I opened a gift I considered extremely out of line, and I was absolutely mortified, especially since I knew only a couple of people. I was hired and continued working there for several years, but I never again participated in the white elephant. Nor will I ever participate in one!
Old 07-24-2017, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

I am "relieved" that some other people also dislike these "exchanges".
Old 07-24-2017, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

I don't like them no matter what form they take. Since we don't celebrate Christmas I usually opt out of any parties around that time of year. I don't want to come home with ornaments or Christmas related items to recycle and surely don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Feel the same way about other times of year also. Too much pressure and even with those who say otherwise, there is some pressure and judgement going on anyway. At least in my experience over the years. One boss had a holiday "shakedown" of employees. One of his favorites went around collecting $$ for his gift and she wrote down the amount everyone contributed and he used this against people during the year. Not exactly an exchange but reminded me.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
I'm in a group of 25 at a small guild. at Christmas and birthday, we all give the same gift. This year, my gift is emb. mirror covers. everyone buys or makes 25 of the same thing and hands them out. These suckers are taking 2 hrs each to make. i'm thinking of giving only to my good friends. there are abour 15 of these people I only see at the Christmas party. i'm wondering if I should make so many of these mirrors. the thread keeps breaking and is aggravating to make. Some of the people come and get gifts, but don't bring gifts. I don not like that. so what can I make for these people? I'm not to crazy to give 25 of these hard made gifts to people I don't know well.
Please post what a mirror cover looks like. Sounds interesting. Our group's exchange is "Bring a gift - get a gift".
Old 07-25-2017, 09:42 AM

A very interesting thread. The only gift exchange I've ever participated in was the Christmas Ornament swap. I enjoyed it. The funnest part for me was making the ornament. I love Christmas ornaments and love to put them around the house durning the season, so I can never have too many. And I prefer homemade vs store bought any day!