Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
free motion quilting problems >

free motion quilting problems

free motion quilting problems

Old 07-27-2017, 02:18 PM

Default free motion quilting problems

I want to do free motion quilting but am having problems. When I have the feed dogs down and try to move the fabric with my hands/arms, I find I cannot do so easily. I do have fibro and neck/shoulder injury issues. I wonder if perhaps I just don't have the strength needed to do this or if I don't have something else set up correctly.
How easily should the fabric move under the presser foot when I try to slide it along? Is it possible the presser foot is putting too much force on the fabric even tho the feed dogs are down?

I have been able to do shape quilting with the feed dogs up by using long stitches and the stop and start method and slow gradual turns. I've done hearts, leaves and vines. I just think it would be fun to do the free motion if I can manage it.
All help and suggestions are welcome!
Old 07-27-2017, 02:37 PM
Gay

Your presser foot does need to be hovering just above the fabric to make moving easy. Do you have an embroidery foot that will move up and down as you stitch, if not I would look at getting one. If you have a knee lifter you can use that to hold the foot just high enough, I'd be lost without mine.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:40 PM

The open toe foot is also called a hopping foot - it presses down on the fabric only when making the stitch and then raises while you move for the next stitch.... that may ease things if you use one of these feet. The fabric should move easily.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:48 PM

Are you using something like Machingers on your hands? I can't free motion quilt without them.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:54 PM

I have found that I really like using the sponges that have a pot scrubber side to them. The scrubby side on the fabric really grips the fabric great. The sponge is soft to hold on to - and my hands don't get a sweaty like when I wear the gloves

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577436[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	th (3).jpg
Views:	1773
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	577436  
Old 07-27-2017, 02:57 PM

Is it possible that your surface that you're moving the fabric over needs more slide? There is a sewing notion for that called Supreme Slider or the cheaper version an oven liner. I use the latter for that... got 2 for $10ish off Amazon. For better pressure traction I also use gloves with rubberized tips. Without them I'm basically useless. Before I got those I got a hold of some fitted gloves that medical personnel use to see if they worked. I like the quilting gloves better but they too have to fit firmly - I could still slide around inside the small so I went to extra small and all is well with my match stick sized fingers.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:01 PM

Do you have a free motion (or darning or hopping) foot on your machine? It won't work with a regular foot.

I have tendinitis in my thumbs, plus significant neurological problems in my neck & right arm. I have no problem with FMQ as long as I work in a cabinet & limit to 30 minute sessions.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

​I cannot move my quilt sandwich under my machine without my Machinger gloves on.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Do you have a free motion (or darning or hopping) foot on your machine? It won't work with a regular foot.
Yes you can do free motion quilting with a regular foot as long as the machine has a presser foot pressure adjustment. I have one vintage straight stitch machine that I only use for free motion work. The presser foot pressure spring is worn out so it has no pressure. I can quilt with the feed dogs up or down, makes no difference. I leave the regular ss foot on it because I tried 3 different hopping or darning feet and it didn't like any of them but with the regular foot it free motions just fine.

Cari
Old 07-27-2017, 06:32 PM
Power Poster

what kind of foot are you using? a free motion one like a darning foot? The foot should have a spring on it to bob up and down with the needle. sort of floats on the fabric. stitch length to zero.