Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creative Bug   Please review if you used it. >

Creative Bug Please review if you used it.

Creative Bug Please review if you used it.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:19 AM

Several members have mentioned problems with Craftsy in the last few months, maybe the change of hands had something to do with it?

(Just an observation, not starting a bashing subject! I know those aren't allowed here)

I got a free month coupon last time I bought something at JoAnns, let it sit by the computer a few days, then decided it was probably another way to time suck, so threw it away
Old 07-27-2017, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I have a personal policy of not handing out my credit card info for any "free" trial. I work in finance and have seen too many people struggle to get stuff like that canceled. I don't give my credit card number to anybody unless I intend to pay them for something. To me, asking for that info for a free trial is bordering on shady. There is zero reason that they need to have that information for a free trial, they're just hoping they can get away with charging you for at least a month or two. I don't trust companies that set things up that way.
I do the same. If it's free, it's free and you don't need my credit card info for anything FREE.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:28 AM

I may be too cautious, but I would not give credit card info for a free trial. Just my opinion but if it's truly free there is no need for the back-up info.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:10 AM

Default Creative Bug

Yes it is worth it to me. There no classes close to me . I have to travel along ways to get to any classes like this so it is well worth I think.
Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
Jo-anns is giving a 2 month free membership to Creative Bug. Is this worth pursuing. It has a lot of different craft classes on it. I only quilt but am interested in some of the other stuff.
Were the classes any good?

Normally I just sign up, but many times you have to give a credit card and then I forget to cancel so thought I'd make sure it was something I'd like for two months.

Creative Bug is an online platform similar to Craftsy for classes about a variety of craft topics.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2017, 10:10 AM

I tried Creative Bug out--a free version for awhile and didn't find anything there that was worth paying for. I buy Craftsy because there are new ideas and techniques. I didn't find anything with the Bug that I couldn't find in any of the books I have or doing a google search on any subject. I am a member of the Facebook group Sit Down Free Motion Quilting and get so much more info from there and there are other quilting and free motion groups on FB.

Last edited by MarleneC; 07-28-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:15 AM

I agree with you--the same works for Paypal and any group membership that will bill you each month and the hassle to cancel a membership. The same goes for anything that only wants you to pay for postage but supposedly the item is free. They will continue to send the item and bill you for it.
Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I have a personal policy of not handing out my credit card info for any "free" trial. I work in finance and have seen too many people struggle to get stuff like that canceled. I don't give my credit card number to anybody unless I intend to pay them for something. To me, asking for that info for a free trial is bordering on shady. There is zero reason that they need to have that information for a free trial, they're just hoping they can get away with charging you for at least a month or two. I don't trust companies that set things up that way.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:12 AM

Somehow Kindle got ahold of my card information and has been charging me the last two months. I don't even own a Kindle. When I called them, they told me I had signed up for a "free trial" and did I want to cancel it? I seriously don't recall signing up for any such thing! Regardless, after much discussion, they refunded me the last two months charges. Be careful with your card and keep an eye on your bill.

Back to the topic, I had a real free trial for Creative Bug and I wasn't that thrilled with what they had to offer. I think the lessons were a lot more basic than what other sites have.

Watson
Old 07-29-2017, 04:06 PM

Craftsy was purchased not by JoAnn but another conglomerate. According to the article I read, Craftsy's formula will change to a monthly membership fee which allows access to all video classes. Customer's who purchased classes under the current formula will still have the lifetime access to those classes.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:59 PM

I tried Creative bug over a year ago. They had a few good classes by Sue Nichols that I learned from. After that, I felt it wasn't helping my creative juices!

I have been a Craftsy member since their first year. I'm embarrassed to say how many courses I have purchased. It has been an excellent source for learning. But they changed the platform about 2 years ago and it's hard to navigate using my iPad 3 which is what I use to watch their videos. About 6 months ago there was a big layoff in their video production staff. It's sad -- their new offering are very few and far between.

Just recently Craftsy was purchased bu NBC. I really hope to see some positive changes.