Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help from Featherweight owners... >

Help from Featherweight owners...

Help from Featherweight owners...

Old 07-29-2017, 07:06 PM

I love mine because they look so cute on display.

My husband fixed up one for a friend in exchange for the card table (friend is an antique dealer). I nicknamed the machine Sweetheart because she really was sweet to sew on. She had a bit of wear, but was well broken in.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
it's cute, tiny, shiny, portable, sews a perfect 1/4" seam, coz it's rarer than one made nw. mine is from 1939. because you need one for your collection.
Those are pretty much all the items on my "buy it" list. I will add that it sews a perfect 1/4" seam and because I need one for my collection. :-)
Old 07-29-2017, 07:18 PM

Good catch on your friend's part!

I have noticed there are more 222's in Canada. The downside, if you live in Canada, are the taxes that add almost 15%. It's almost worth buying one and having it shipped to a friend in the US.

As for being a gateway drug it's too late for me. When I discovered my vintage Husqvarna had a cracked cam stack in May I researched fixing it. I saw photo after photo of gorgeous vintage machines and I was hooked - even before I bought the first.

Between the end of May and now I've bought five!
Old 07-29-2017, 09:26 PM
Power Poster

​The main reason I wanted one was the portability. I find I just can't haul a heavy machine around like I used to for workshops.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:33 AM

Dear Theresa, You have a way with words!! I too have been bitten by the vintage machine virus. Being OCD in the first place is contributing to my problem. So I bought a sewing machine repair business complete with 23 machine that have been repaired and are for sale, huge inventory of used and new parts, etc. etc. etc.

HELP ME!!!

I can't go past a Goodwill without stopping to inquire if they have any machines, machines in cabinets...etc. I took one of my apartments and dedicated it to this new enterprise.

Bonnie Hunter has to take some of the blame for this too.

Marcia

Last edited by Battle Axe; 07-30-2017 at 02:34 AM. Reason: more information
Old 07-30-2017, 02:52 AM

I will find one..unexpectedly, at an outrageously cheap price and in good working order. Then I will buy it. I don't need one..but they are cute! If it is meant to be...that s. ��

sandy
Old 07-30-2017, 04:25 AM

People ask me all the time, 'what's so special about the featherweights?'.......

1. Featherweights are small and lightweight. That makes them easy to take to a class or a retreat. I personally love that about them.

2. Featherweights are made of metal, not plastic, so they last for years and years. It's easy to find parts for them and you can do so many repairs yourself saving you lots of money over the time you own one.

3. Featherweights are easy to maintain. It only takes about 10 minutes to oil one and less than half an hour to do a complete oil and grease job twice a year.

4. Featherweights sew a beautiful stitch. Many people tell me their $$$$ machines don't do as nice a stitch as their featherweights. And, while they don't do zig-zag or emboidery stitches, there are attachments that will allow you to do much more on your little featherweight including zig-zag and other stuff.

5. And, here's the big reason...... Snob Appeal..... When you take your featherweight somewhere and use it, people just go crazy over it. They're just so cute and sound amazing. I love the 'click, click, click' of the motor. I know, people don't want to hear about the snob appeal but it's a factor.

Okay, there you go. That's my reason for owning featherweights. I have a white one and a 222 as well. Love them to death.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-06-2019 at 01:11 AM. Reason: PM
Old 07-30-2017, 07:17 AM

Featherweights are cute, fun to use, portable. Recently, oiled and did a tune up on mine thanks to you tube - felt a great sense of accomplishment and saved money doing it myself. Also, I installed an LED light instead of the light bulb that comes with the machine. The light bulb that comes with the machine doesn't throw off much light plus it gets very hot. Fun to use but also nice to have a modern machine, love my BabyLock too. They say it's a quilter's dream because of the perfect 1/4 inch stitch.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:20 AM

Wow tscweaves - you are so lucky to get a Featherweight table - been looking for one but they are costly and hard to find. Glad you got one and I agree, nice to have the machines flush wit the work surface.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:42 AM

I wanted one for the portability factor. My main machine is a computerized Viking so not very portable. I take mine to classes or when just traveling for family/fun for extended periods. I got mine through a friend for $40. Found a table (in relatively rough shape for an additional $15) several years later. I've not used mine in the table yet as I've not had the need and really don't have the room. But the machine sews a beautiful stitch and is a dream to use.