Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help from Featherweight owners... >

Help from Featherweight owners...

Help from Featherweight owners...

Old 07-30-2017, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

All of the above reasons. It took me a long time to come upon the first one and I could tinker with it myself. It didn't need much. Then by happenstance a few years later a very inexpensively priced one crossed my path and I could tinker with it myself. I have since taken a Featherweight maintenance class. They are adorable. They sew a great stitch. They are portable. They do have a relatively large throat in case one wants to quilt on one. I've heard tell the motor isn't strong enough but then a few years back I was admiring some big quilts in a quilt shop and the owner said she quilted them all herself on her Featherweight. So I guess it is possible.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:54 AM

I love mine! It sews just great and is so lightweight. Take my word for it - you need one.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:21 AM
pal

I have a group of friends that don't sew but were willing to try - for community service projects. I have taught them on the Featherweight because it is so basic and non-intimidating. It is a joy to see their faces when they complete a project on my 221 and then ask if they can make another project, using my machine.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

I love sewing on mine. I can just pick it up and go downstairs with it when I want to watch the ball game. They sew beautifully. And yes, they are beyond cute! I have several and am done buying them. I gave my DIL one and she loves it. But enough is enough (for me)
Old 07-30-2017, 11:35 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by Beachbaby12 View Post
Wow tscweaves - you are so lucky to get a Featherweight table - been looking for one but they are costly and hard to find. Glad you got one and I agree, nice to have the machines flush wit the work surface.
I have two, black and white (or green as some call it), and my husband is just finishing up making one of the wooden oval cabinets (#68) that were made back in the 50's/60's for these machines. It looks like a side table when not in use but the top comes off and the machine fits in an opening flush with the table top. These cabinets are so cute ... like the featherweight. Both machines fit in the opening with just an added piece to allow the white smaller machine to fit properly. I have not had the chance to use it yet since he is still tweaking it a bit but I already love it. So, yes, buy a featherweight if you find one you can afford. Easy to care for, easy to carry to classes, easy to use.

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...nd_tables.html
Old 07-30-2017, 12:34 PM

I got my Featherweight after waiting several years and sprung at the opportunity. Like my Elna (from the 80s), the featherweight is simple to maintain and I can do it myself. I did attend a Nova Montgomery Featherweight Maintenance Class last year when she and her husband went on the road stopping for several class days in Williamsburg, VA. I do have a 15-91 that is wonderful for same maintenance reason but I have decided to unload my treadle this fall as I am at saturation level with machines. Or is the fabric???
Old 07-30-2017, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
I have two, black and white (or green as some call it), and my husband is just finishing up making one of the wooden oval cabinets (#68) that were made back in the 50's/60's for these machines. It looks like a side table when not in use but the top comes off and the machine fits in an opening flush with the table top. These cabinets are so cute ... like the featherweight. Both machines fit in the opening with just an added piece to allow the white smaller machine to fit properly. I have not had the chance to use it yet since he is still tweaking it a bit but I already love it. So, yes, buy a featherweight if you find one you can afford. Easy to care for, easy to carry to classes, easy to use.

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...nd_tables.html
That table is to die for!!! Will your husband take orders? ;-)
Old 07-30-2017, 04:07 PM

I believe in recycling. FW's are a good value for the money.

Concerning snob appeal -- my sister recently retired and started doing some charity quilting with groups. So she purchased a FW and takes it to the sessions. She told me that her status in the new group went way up the first day that she brought a FW. I laughed!
Old 07-30-2017, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

Snob appeal- too funny!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-31-2017, 05:42 AM

What I like best is that my little FW is so accurate! It is easy to care for and it is my "go to" machine for retreats or quilt work days with my guild. Easy to carry and does the job.