Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help with Singer 15-91, Please? >

Help with Singer 15-91, Please?

Help with Singer 15-91, Please?

Old 07-26-2017, 07:43 AM

Thank you all so much, everyone!! I'll keep up with the PBblaster and just let it take its time. I'll so glad to hear that you all think it will come off with time and oil; I'll try to be more patient.

Good to know that there is a difference I sewing machine screws, vs regular screws. I had no idea.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:21 PM

It's not really a huge project. It's a huge annoyance. Squirt it with PBblaster and try it today. Then squirt it again tomorrow and try it. It's just a delay in your time frame. Besides, you were going to need those tools and penetrating oil for the White Rotary, anyway.

The 15-91 is a great machine. It's almost as smooth as a 201-2. And you can FMQ on it to boot! It's worth it.

bkay
Old 07-30-2017, 09:53 AM

I still have had no success in removing the setting screw, even after soaking it in the PBblaster all week. I've tried every 'gentle' removal method suggested here and I appreciate all the help! My DH and I have decided we will try drilling it off, as that is now looking like our only option. This is going to be my FMQ machine, so I really want it up and running soon.

But I think I found an explanation as to why this screw has been so 'screwed' (pun intended). Yesterday I found two mismatching screws that I know are supposed to be matching. One was too long for it's hole and it was a hexagon shaped bolt!! And I was actually able to take it out with just my fingers. So some 'well meaning soul' has been just popping screws that 'fit' into this poor girl... I'm guessing that the setting screw on the chrome knob has been forcefully drilled in at some point. What do you all think?

I know this machine has only had one owner, but it came with a little service sticker from a service shop that is now long since been closed down. (I googled it; it was actually a private house.) I'm wondering if it was the service shop who did the damage?... Anyway, I found it interesting.

Last edited by NZquilter; 07-30-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: added comment
Old 07-30-2017, 10:15 AM

I recently inherited my mom's 15-91. It has not really been used in years. However, my mom had it "serviced" every few years. Some guy would come out to the house and futz around with it for a while and give her a bill. Her husband said she had had a guy out not too long before she got sick. (10 years or so ago). The machine has not been used much, if at all, since then.

I brought it home and started cleaning and oiling it. The grease "pots" for the motor were almost empty. That means he didn't service it at all, and the guy who serviced it before that probably didn't do anything either.

bkay
Old 07-30-2017, 10:50 AM

Smile

Over the years lots of things can have happened, someone can have borrowed the machine, there's usually more than one person in a household sewing (or used to be at least). No doubt a rogue sewing service has happened now and then, but luckily it doesn't seem to be the most common. What's very common is most sewing machine service shops will not bother about old machines if they cannot order parts from their regular suppliers. I can imagine an older sewing machine repair guy keeping up a small business in his house, and they are often very good at their job.

Most rough treatment happens after a machine is no longer new or modern, as the years go by the regard for it dwindles. I guess it was looked upon as old and obsolete by the late 1960s, at least by some. Half hearted repairs is quite common though and few actually hand their machines in for service on a regular basis. Machines can get rough treatment during storage, or when the owner moves to a new house. Sewing machines can get a hard life that way regardless of their capabilities.

I would still assume it's the correct screw in there until it's obvious that it's not. I would not start drilling until I had the replacement screw in my hand either. If that's the case at the moment switch to a different oil and soak the screw once more. I like to have as close to original parts as possible and screws have to be the corret ones. If you can have the threading measured there are speciality stores that either have the the type of screw you need, or they can make or alter one to your requirements. They usually don't have chrome plated screws, but sometiems they have stainless steel which is reasonably close.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:54 PM

Did you try a blow dryer? From your photo I think it looks exactly like mine, which have the correct screw in them. Could be the wrong one but it sure looks right to me.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by oregongirl View Post
Did you try a blow dryer? From your photo I think it looks exactly like mine, which have the correct screw in them. Could be the wrong one but it sure looks right to me.
I tried everything. I even put it in my truck for a day in 100+ degree weather! I know the photo didn't show it clearly, but this screw was dug deeper than flush with the chrome wheel into its hole. The more I tried to get it out, the worse it got. Now I'm praying that the drilling out will work!
Old 08-05-2017, 12:57 PM

Default Update

Happy news!! My DH was able to use his Bosch Reciprocating Saw to very carefully cut off the bottom of the screw. We figured the screw was already done for, so I'm not morning the loss of it. I ordered a new balance wheel off eBay for a replacement too. So now my balance wheel is off and I'm ready to rewire and get this girl up and running
Old 08-05-2017, 01:00 PM

Glad you were able to find a solution. I was frustrated just reading about your trials:-)
Old 08-05-2017, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
Glad you were able to find a solution. I was frustrated just reading about your trials:-)
Thanks! I was worried it would never come off too! And once we tried drilling it, there was no point in even trying to save the screw. Drilling didn't work, but the saw it I was lucky enough to get a balance wheel from the same year too.