Printed Newspapers

Old 08-04-2017, 12:51 PM

I get the newspaper, mostly for the local news. It used to be delivered in orange plastic bags which I saved and used for poop bags. I do not like sports so the sports page immediately gets recycled. The weather items are always 5 degrees different than the local station I watch. Editing seems to be a lost art. Spelling and grammatical errors are rampant. Hey, it was cheap and sometimes there is interesting and useful information. People still use the want ads. In fat, that is how I found my first longarm. At some point I think printed newspapers will disappear. One of the major (and oldest) papers in Seattle shut down but has a presence online.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
Interesting topic. My Mother is 87 and has taken the daily paper for over 60 years. The local paper delivery became very spotty, and she received a notice that they would no longer deliver missed papers, but It may be delivered the next day. Then the price increased from about 200.00 per year to over 400.00 per year. Most days this paper is only 5-7 pages and mostly ads. She is most distressed. She does not want to read on the computer, says it is not the same as holding in your hand. We have heard rumors that the paper is about to go under and stop printing all together.
I suppose the day of delivery of a daily paper is almost gone. This is a small town, pop. 25,000, so I understand the financial aspects of continuing a daily paper when the subscriptions are down and most everyone either reads on-line, or just gets their news from other sources.
Really sad, isn't it?
Yes, it is very sad. People your Mother's age want the physical paper, as they've enjoyed their whole lives. Awww
Old 08-04-2017, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Why we still like to get a printed newspaper:

We like to do the puzzles - we do them using an ink pen - and with a beverage nearby to sip on while working them. One can do them "anywhere"

They are more portable than a desk-top computer.

One can cut out articles and send them to friends.

One could color the comics if they are printed in black and white.

Even though the papers have shrunk in size and content, I still like having something to touch.

It's easier for me to read from paper than from a screen.

My son likes (loves) to read the ads and clip coupons. In fact, DH and DS Sunday morning conversations revolve around the ads - and really goes on and on if one of their favorites is not included in that edition! Or the paper is not delivered.

I like the advice columns. My DH likes the opinion section.

If one saves the papers, one can go back and re-read an article at one's leisure and comfort.

Do you still get a printed newspaper?

Thanks for your reasons for getting a printed paper. I am a reporter who works for a small daily paper in New Mexico. We do not have a TV station that serves our community and local radio stations do not provide coverage of events that are important for people to know about. Those include local election campaigns, school board meetings, city council meetings, county commissioner's meetings, high school and local college sports events, engagements, births, deaths, accidents, crimes, etc.

Local newspapers are generally the only reliable source of local information. Readers can call the editor/s or reporters for more information about a story or to give them praise or criticism. Readers' concerns are far more likely to be considered and questions answered by a writer who spends several hours interviewing people about an event or an issue, completing whatever other research is required to make the story both informative and interesting, and then spending even more time writing.

I love the Internet and the computer world, but as my daughter has pointed out many times, what is written on paper is a far more reliable archive than what is written only in digital form and can be changed with a half dozen key strokes.

I hope those of you who have given up your local newspapers will re-consider.

Peace and grace to each of you and to all whom you love. froggyintexas
Old 08-05-2017, 08:22 PM

My paper is online and also I get a paper copy. I love to sit down in the morning with a cup of coffee and the paper in hand. When I worked an 8-5 job, I purposely got up earlier in the morning just to read the paper before going to work. I don't like to read the online version and rarely utilize it but there was no choice when they went to an online version; they raised the price and the only choice we had to get the paper version was to also subscribe to the one online. It is so true that the papers now days are so much thinner than they used to be, and I miss that. But I also save the papers and re-use them for other purposes.