Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kona cotton >

Kona cotton

Kona cotton

Old 08-04-2017, 11:43 AM

Was at JAF today and none of their Kona fabrics had Kaufman on the cardboard bolt. JAF Kona is made in Indonesia (is Kaufman's?). I've had problems with JAF Kona fraying badly. Will not buy again from JAF.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
Kona cotton is a registered trademark of Robert Kaufman fabrics. No one else can use it. If it is fabric and it says Kona, it's Kaufman.

Kona and Kona Bay are not the same brand. Kona Bay has to (or had to if they are now out of business) add the word, "Bay" to make it not be a trademark infringement. They had to use the whole phrase, "Kona Bay" on all their fabric products. You can call your coffee, Kona Coffee, you can call your pineapple, Kona Pineapple, but you cannot call your fabric Kona. It is a trademark of Robert Kaufman and only he can use it.
bkay
Now I'm totally confused. What you're saying is if it says Kona, then it's Kaufman?
Old 08-05-2017, 05:33 PM

Bearisgray provided the link to the words of Robert Kaufman on this subject. Unless I'm misunderstanding what I read, yes, if a product at Joann's or anywhere else is marked "Kaufman" and "Kona" it is the same product. They want to know if you bought their product and are not happy with it.

The only concern would be if you were not shopping carefully and you mistakenly bought a product that you thought was Kona but it was not that brand. Sometimes they're mixed up on the shelf, maybe other customers pulled one and put it back wrong. Your receipt from Jo-ann's (at least where I live) is very detailed about what fabric you bought, and it's all scanned electronically off the bolt, so not really subject to an input error on the part of the staff.

I found out just how great these receipts were recently when I got the last bit of a clearance fabric I loved for backing on a particular project and then didn't have enough of it when my quilt needed to grow. I called another Joann's about 10 miles away and they were able to track down the exact fabric from the information on my receipt and they had it and held it for me.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

That's not what Bkay said- She said "If it says Kona it's Kaufman". She didn't say anything about Kaufman being on the label. That's what I'm confused about.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:51 AM

The Kona I bought at Jo-Ann was awful. Practicall sheer it was so low quality.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

I'm wondering if some people are referring to a certain "type" of quilting fabric as "Kona" the same way I refer to all paper handkerchiefs as "Kleenex".
Old 08-06-2017, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

If you like the look and feel of the fabric, use it... regardless of the name.

Consider Dream Cotton from Marshall's Dry Goods... it's the same fabric as Moda Bella Solids, made at the same factory, and is much cheaper than either the Moda Bella or Kaufman Kona. It's awesome!
Old 08-06-2017, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

Yesterday my husband needed plastic at JAF so I went along and got some sewing machine oil for my old Singer. I looked at the Kona cottons that were 8.99 a yard. They did not say Kaufman on the bolt but they looked and felt exactly the same as the Kaufman Kona I buy from Fabric.com or Missouri Star. So I bought some with a 60% coupon.
I'm going to try it out. Bkay's post is what confused me.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:03 PM

Thanks for this tip. I'm planning to purchase Kona for a quilt backing and will definitely go with Kaufman Kona now. Mary in Wis.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:18 AM

I ended up buying Kona white from JAF over the weekend. It feels more substantial than the other solid whites there, but it definitely did not say "Kaufman" at the end of the bolt. I'm using it as a stabilizer anyway, so it should be fine. Thanks for all your comments, everyone!