I don't "get" Pinterest.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:40 PM

I understand the "-pinterest.com" but can someone tell me where & how to add this to my searches?
Old 08-09-2017, 09:04 PM

I've used Pinterest to share ideas with my girls. Recently we've used it to design quilts. I create a shared board and pin quilt patterns, fabric collections, color combinations, etc. They can comment and add suggestions. It works especially well with my daughter who lives in another state. And I also use the quilting designs for reference and inspiration. It's nice to have them all in one place. Yes there are dead ends, but I mostly pin for the pictures. Bookmarks are great but you lose them if your computer crashes (been there) or you get a new computer (done that). My pins are available on my computer, iPad, and iPhone, pretty much wherever I go. My color combinations board comes in handy when fabric shopping.

To each his own. I find Pinterest very useful.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
People seem to really like Pinterest, but I just find it frustrating.

I see something I like, so I click on it, expecting to see it bigger or perhaps be taken to a place where you get info on it and quite often you end up somewhere else entirely!

Or, it will say "Free pattern", so I click and I can't find anywhere that they offer a pattern. So I click on something else and suddenly I'm 3 pages away from my original search. It's like Alice in Wonderland going down the rabbit hole.

I just don't get it.

Is it just to look at pretty things? Or is there actual information to be had and I just don't know how?

Watson
Watson, I agree. I have quit going on the site because free patterns are never available. More trouble than it is worth.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:51 AM

I absolitely love Pinterest. You should see my recipe pins! I've tried many and they come out great. I pin a lot of ideas for decorated cookies. And I love the main dish and breakfast ideas.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:20 AM

I don't seem to quite understand Pinterest either. I've also had problems on Craftsy. I'm not sure which website this was but yesterday I followed a link to download a free pattern. I clicked on the free pattern and a pop-up declared that the pattern was in my cart. But I couldn't seem to find my way to the cart to download the pattern.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:30 AM

I don't like Pinterest. If & when I use it, it is only for inspiration/ideas. I have found very little use for it otherwise. It's frustrating to think you are going to find something that you are looking for only to find "nothing" in the end.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:55 AM

Hard to follow for me too.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:25 AM

Pinterest, upsets me. I don't have all day to look around for a 'Free' pattern. I want to click once and have it be there.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by janjanq View Post
I don't seem to quite understand Pinterest either. I've also had problems on Craftsy. I'm not sure which website this was but yesterday I followed a link to download a free pattern. I clicked on the free pattern and a pop-up declared that the pattern was in my cart. But I couldn't seem to find my way to the cart to download the pattern.
LOL I have had that too with Craftsy. I did eventually find it. I very seldom use Craftsy, and being forgetful, everytime I use it I have to figure it out again.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

Wow... so much negativity towards Pinterest. It sounds like most of it stems from a misunderstanding of what Pinterest is. It is NOT a free pattern site. It is a bulletin board. You "Pin" images you are "Interested" in = Pinterest. If someone posts a link to what they claim is a free pattern and it turns out to be a rabbit trail, get mad at the poster, not the format.

I find Pinterest highly useful for storing ideas and inspiration. So what if the links are dead, as long as I have the original picture I can go from there. And many "pins" do have live links to other places, to recipes, or to patterns. But you can't expect all to. Lots of them are just pictures from picture hosting sites such as Flickr.

It's really no different from Google images, except you can store the images you want to keep.

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 08-10-2017 at 07:55 AM.