Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Why is there nothing to eat? >

Why is there nothing to eat?

Why is there nothing to eat?

Old 08-09-2017, 05:59 AM

I try to keep hard boiled eggs in fridge and tuna and salad fixings all the time. I can mix these up in a variety of ways and have lunch. Another thing that is always in my freezer are home made hamburgers and I can take them out for lunch anytime. I have several things in freezer and fridge that work for me. I also freeze leftovers and they make great meals. I love to cook so my pantry is full.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

I cook meals only when I want to. DH is capable of getting something to eat when he's hungry. I usually don't eat a meal passed 3 pm and DH likes to eat about 6 pm. He likes to grill. He usually grills chicken, ribs, or steaks with grilled vegetables most every day. I toss a salad and we are done.

My DH is Diabetic, so I have to be diligent on what he eats.
Why is that your responsibility? Not being rude just curious. I would never think it was up to me to monitor what DH had to eat or not eat. That would be up to him to decide not me.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:25 AM

If all else fails, lunch can be a fried egg sandwich or a banana with peanut butter. I make large meat portions (3# meatloaf or a turkey breast for example) and it solves the problem for several days. I often have cooked potatoes, hard boiled eggs and cooked saffron rice in the refrig for meal starters. Individual frozen entrees work with a side of cooked veggies or a tossed salad. I make a big batch of meatballs and freeze them on cookie sheets, transfer to a plastic freezer bag. I take out enough for a meal and only had the mess one time.

I discovered frozen lasagna and when it's on sale, I think it's cheaper than homemade. (and a lot less work!). Ive done Oatmeal in a Jar for breakfast and Salad in a Jar for lunch. I make up enough jars for 3-5 days. I wash up assorted chopped greens and use a salad spinner, it keeps longer and ready to eat. Family member saves the small empty peanut butter jars and fills them with fruit smoothies then pops them in the freezer. I divide a large hot dish and freeze some. My friend keeps an inventory of her freezer on a clipboard, not a bad idea.

We we all need to be inspired and I'm happy to read what others do.

Last edited by tranum; 08-10-2017 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Adding
Old 08-10-2017, 05:48 PM

My kids complain that my kitchen has no food, only ingredients that have "some assembly required" to make a meal.
I cook mostly from scratch due to allergies, therefore not many premade foods.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:57 AM

Try cucumber tomato salad...fresh and yum.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:01 AM

I have zero energy for cooking most week days. Especially in the summer. So I do a lot of big-batch cooking on the weekends. When it's hot I'll start as early as 6AM!

I cook up big pots of various soups and chili and freeze those up in mason jars. I also will cook up a couple big lasagnas, or a couple big casseroles or giant pot pies and portion those out into the freezer as well. I also make "egg pucks" - basically fritattas cooked in silicone muffin cups - for fast breakfasts or high-protein snacks.

I TRY to keep about 5 or 6 different things in the freezer at all times, that way there's usually something in there that will sound good after a long day. It helps DH & I eat out less often, and eat less "convenience food" that's so high in fat and sodium. I try to cook with a lot of local-grown in-season produce too - so much tastier than something that was ripened as it was shipped across the globe! I have a garden but it's too small to really sustain us, but I love it when I can use mostly my own home-grown produce to make a batch of soup (or whatever).

There's also something very satisfying to me, about having a full freezer. All my mason jars and tupperware all neatly lined up and dated and full of good homemade food....feels really good!
Old 08-18-2017, 04:11 AM

I clean the celery, cucumber, red or yellow peppers, radishes, and what ever I see that is colorful. Now I can go to the fridge and just munch.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:05 AM

I go outside to eat. There is lettuce, broccoli, and asparagus in April, Cherries in May, raspberries in June, Blackberries in July and August, Plums/tomatoes/corn in August, Apples in August/September. At home, the grandkids (6,3,&1) have to ask for food. At Meme's farm (we live next door) they run around outside, climb trees, pick, share, and eat all they want. Life is good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eliza eating apple.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	579123  
Old 08-18-2017, 06:02 PM

I find I can buy many bags of groceries but most of them do me no good until they are chopped, browned, sliced, diced, roasted, baked, simmered, boiled, etc etc. In other words, "some assembly required".

I buy 10# ground beef and add chopped onions and seasonings, then brown it all in a roaster in the oven. Drain and package in smaller bags. Some is seasoned with taco seasoning. At least the browning mess is out of the way. I use my Kitchen Aid mixer to make meatball or meatloaf mixtures. Much better job than me mixing with a big spoon.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:38 PM

Oh! I just thought that! It really is embarassing to admit that I have a kitchen full of food and nothing to eat. I may have to go to the store and buy some ice cream.