Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm seems to have a "bad spot" >

Longarm seems to have a "bad spot"

Longarm seems to have a "bad spot"

Old 08-02-2017, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by tomb View Post
I have a gammill on a 12 foot table. In that last 6 inches of travel at the far side of the pantograph the power cord and the coiled cord for the speed regulator will make contact with the table frame. Make sure these are not tangled or catching which would feel like pulling.
You should also make sure the pantograph stylus is not bumping against the take up roller in that area. It would be helpful to have a friend move the machine back and forth though the trouble spot while you look all around for anything touching where it shouldn't
Don't overlook the channel lock magnets when you do this.
Thanks. Those are a couple areas I hadn't considered. But the 6" isn't at each end. It's 6" from the back track.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:47 AM

Yes that is what I mean. As you stand at the pantograph table and push the machine away from you the last 6 inches of travel near the back track you will see the power cord and the speed regulator cord will made contact with the table. Make sure they are not tangled or pulling at that area. It doesn't take much to throw off a curve if the vertical travel is suddenly pulled while the horizontal travel is smooth.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:04 PM

Also, check your wheels..they may have gunk on them or the rubber "tires" have worn and need replacing. I find it helps to have someone else move the machine while I look at every nook and cranny to find my problem. The machine should be turned off..just have them move it over and over the area until you see what's catching. With mine, it was the board that the panto sits on, a screw has loosened and it was higher in that area, but it could be anything.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:44 AM

My sons LA started having the exact problem-thanks for info ladies-I'll tell him to check all these areas!
Old 08-12-2017, 01:37 PM

I was thinking along the lines of level also. Sounds like you have been given good advice re: where to check for issues. Hope you get it figured out!
Old 08-12-2017, 02:06 PM

That's exactly what I was going to suggest! I moved my frame some time ago and for months could not get a straight sew across. I finally got impatient enough to do something about it! Turned out the frame was not "square" and that created a curve in the row while quilting. I have also experienced the exact thing you spoke of.

I have plastic rails on my machine, too. After a short period of jumpy quilting, DH and I took the machine and carriage off the frame so we could examine the rails. the rails had literally crumbled in place, thus causing the jumpy stitching!

Hope your problem resolves quickly.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

Sval, did you ever resolve this issue?
Old 11-08-2017, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Sval, did you ever resolve this issue?
No, I just don't use pantos that I know traverse the bad spot. Or I move them a given distance from the back rail as to avoid the spot that causes a problem. Pathetic to have to do that on a practically new machine that cost $$$$. But with virtually no service after the sale, what else is there to do?
Old 11-08-2017, 06:24 AM

I know you called your service guy, but did you call the frame company? Mine has a customer service tech that will help us troubleshoot over the phone. My dealer has changed twice since I bought this system, but I can still call the company. Hang in there! I had tension issues off an on for a couple yrs. Service tech walked me thru troubleshooting a couple times. Then one day, the bobbin winder died. (I really did not like that bobbin winder..and I bet it knew that too!) Bought a used one from an online friend....other that usual 'life with a long arm', I have not had ONE tension issue since. You will figure this out!

PS you might like Machine Quilters Resource. Its a website for machine quilters. Could be there is a quilter over there that has had your same issue. www.mqresource.com There is a machine maintenance thread if you scroll down to near the bottom of the forum list page.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:45 PM

Sval, It might be that your encoders need to be cleaned. I was just reminded of that when I went to new owner training for my Innova. The encoder wheels need to be dusted with a damp cloth after quilting several quilts. Hope it can be resolved, that is aggravating.