Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
St. Michael patriotic quilt >

St. Michael patriotic quilt

St. Michael patriotic quilt

Old 08-19-2017, 06:23 AM
DJ

Originally Posted by anne2016 View Post
Anne's second link has some very nice images. I like this one (free image)
http://store.heraldentertainment.com...ing-pages.html

You print it onto fabric and then use fabric markers to color it in.

Nice project and great fabrics you have chosen!
Old 08-19-2017, 06:47 AM

When I am trying to translate an intricate pattern for fabric use, I print it out the size I would like and then lay a piece of tissue over it and start tracing just enough lines to show the item but can be pieced/appliqued easily. Start with just the outline and after you add a few lines, hold up the tissue and see if the item looks ok. If not, add a couple more lines and recheck. You would be surprised at how few pieces are really needed to convey an item. You can add a lot of 'details' by using a tone on tone or batik fabric or with your quilting stitches. I discovered this method when I was making a Dr. Who quilt with 16 paper pieced blocks. The Weeping Angle block had 126 paper pieces! No way! So, I found a way to copy and do it with a dozen applique pieces and a couple grey on grey fabrics.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:10 AM

Oh my gosh, you guys are amazing! Every one of these hints would work i this project. I didn't know there was a poem. I do have an embroidery module on one of my machines and this could work well. Thank you all so much for your ideas. I will keep up posting as this project progresses.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:16 PM

I found this picture of St Micheal that would translate nicely to appliqué....

https://www.google.ca/search?q=color...giNF_XSwnatuM:
Old 08-20-2017, 08:23 AM

I have done the same thing but i just ironed muslin on to shiny side of freezerpaper and ran it thru color printer, came out great
Old 08-20-2017, 12:20 PM

Google: St. Michael fabric panels. You'll get several pages, most useless for what you want, but I saw at least one that is good for St. Michael himself. Also try St. Michael police fabric panel.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by RuthiesRetreat3 View Post
Google: St. Michael fabric panels. You'll get several pages, most useless for what you want, but I saw at least one that is good for St. Michael himself. Also try St. Michael police fabric panel.
Also you can google St Micheal coloring pages to get ideas for appliqué.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:59 AM

I'm not a very experienced quilter, so if I were doing it, I would contact spoonflower about what you would need. I talked about making a memory quilt, so contacted them. You just upload the image and they print it on fabric. You'd need to decide how big you want the picture to be. Then ask spoonflower what size photo you would need to get to do it. Generally it should be a number like 1425x1715. The bigger the number, the clearer the photo will be at larger sizes.

YOu might be able to find one online for free, or you might choose to buy one. On Google images, if you hover over the photo without clicking it, it will tell you the dimensions. You have to actually click on the image and allow it to download fully to get the size the thumbnail is describing.

Here's one for sale: https://www.123rf.com/search.php?word=St+michael&imgtype=0&Submit=+&t_word=&t_lang=en&orderby=0&sti=o2no1q4hxgsbztnfn5|&mediapopup=41648837

This is probably the least expensive of the commercial online photo sites. There are some free ones, too, but you have to really search to find them. The bigger the photo, the more they charge for it.

bkay

You could buy the image from one of the photo

Last edited by bkay; 08-21-2017 at 07:03 AM.