Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Big Box "quilt fabrics" vs quilting store quilt fabrics >

Big Box "quilt fabrics" vs quilting store quilt fabrics

Big Box "quilt fabrics" vs quilting store quilt fabrics

Old 08-22-2017, 10:02 AM

It would be nice if we could all afford to buy fabric from the LQS. Not all of us can do that so we buy what our budgets allow and quilt to the best of our ability.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:35 AM

I have not been in JoAnns for months. I used to buy lots of fabric especially from the cheap seats. It was mostly for the nonprofit I am part of. We always need large pieces for backs of quilts. I do not need fabric ever since my stash is huge. I don't go to JoAnns when there are sales because it is nuts, the lines for cutting and paying are always huge and 97% of things in the store are made in China. However, if I need to replace quilting rulers or notions, I go when there is a sale. But the need has to be there. Not just the "want." Walmart was the only place I could find dog fabric last year for the raffle quilt I made for a fundraiser for our local dog beach. I looked everywhere in the area, including local quilt shops and big box stores.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:02 AM

I buy from everywhere and have found good and not so good at Walmart but have always found Hobby Lobby to be very good. I order a lot from Keepsake Quilting, Nancy's Notions and Connecting threads. I love them all.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:29 PM

There are 2 LQS here. They always have things on sale. Always the good quality material. I also buy online (but that isn't necessarily cheaper).
Old 08-22-2017, 12:59 PM

I tend to buy from Local Quilt Stores because I prefer their fabrics and try to support them. In my area stores have a hard time staying in business because of the internet. I will admit shopping online too as well as thrift stores. Rarely do I buy fabric big box except for batting etc with a coupon.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:40 PM

I just had to throw this out there! I recently completed a King Size + several inches both ways. The yardage required: 25 yards. Had I shopped at a LQS, paying $15-$20 a yard, I could have spent $500+ for just the top fabric. Now, I don't make large numbers of quilts, but even so, I could not begin to afford $500 per quilt, just for top material. Then you have your thread, batting, backing, binding, borders, etc. I have to pinch pennies to comply with my budget restrictions. I would NOT be making quilts at all if I had to spend $500 just for top material! I buy what I can afford, and I don't feel "picked-on" because I can't afford LQS Fabrics. It's a matter of priorities, ladies!
Old 08-22-2017, 02:08 PM

I don't really care for Joann's fabric.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I use fabric from quilt shops, thrift stores/yard sales, Walmart, JoAnns and Hobby Lobby as well as buying online.(Actually, I love Hobby Lobby fabric) I buy what I like if the price is right and the quality is good. That being said, one of the very first quilts I ever made(before I knew anything about quality fabrics) was a baby drag around quilt for my niece. I bought most of the fabrics from Walmarts $1.00yd bin and after 9 years you'd think it would be falling apart but no, it still looks good after being washed a bazillion times.

Cari
I made a Baby Quilt many years ago with muslin and gingham check fabric... for my friend Barb for her first baby. That quilt was used by all 4 of her kids... Washed over a Thousand times and it held together just fine.. I did use regular seam allowance ( not 1/4 "). I probably bought the fabric at K-Mart... ( K-Mart is where my Brides maids got their fabric for there dresses too.) I can't afford the high prices for Fabrics.. I get and use what I like from JoAnn or Walmart -The only stores near by.. Plus when I needed Patriotic Fabric I found just what I needed on sale at JoAnn's and the Fabric was made in the USA! ! !

Last edited by Jean in Ohio13452; 08-23-2017 at 02:48 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:49 AM

I like my quilting store fabrics I have found that the fabrics are rich in color, and not cheap looking that you can see through. I do still shop at my local box store most of the time I just pick up interfacing, tools, thread, and books. Sometime I find novelty print that catches my eye and shop the 50% of bin.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:04 AM

I was in JoAnn's yesterday and picked up some small amounts of fabric. I usually buy FQ. There i had to buy 1/4 yd pieces. I saw their new fabric at $14.00 per yard and kept walking. They have no competition anymore without Hancocks.

Last edited by mojo11; 08-23-2017 at 05:05 AM. Reason: wrong word