Alaska DIY land tour?

Old 08-24-2017, 06:14 PM

My experience was on a cruise ship to Alaska but I can tell you one thing, there is atleast one quilt shop in every town we went to. Juneau, Ketchican, Skagway, i was in quilt heaven.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:10 AM

My son and family live in Talkeetna and have a small cabin that is a "trading post" on the end of the "main" street. Talkeetna is a small, simi-hippie town and one you do need to visit. Have a great time.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:45 AM

I love that this question was posted. I just went to an Alaska info session last night to begin planning for a trip for next year. Appreciate all the responses. Always good to hear from the "locals." Love it!! Thanks.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:42 AM

We just scheduled an Alaska trip for 2018. We will be with an RV tour group, 48 days beginning in Dawson Creek, BC and ending in Prince George, BC. Big loop to Fairbanks them back towards the coast. I can hardly wait! We look at it as a sampler and plan on going back on our own a few years later to spend time in our favorite places.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:23 PM

do not miss Skagway and the train (if it is still running) Did our tour in August 83 and you could still drive the oil pipeline road to Checkpoint Charlie. Cannot do anymore due t terrorists it was one of the highlights of my trip. Also lucked into camp site at foot of Denali. unfortunately it was before I started quilting so did not get any fabric. At the time we went the Alcan was not all paved and had to change transmission on car due to mud at Watson Lake. Had a fabulous time.Took 5 weeks to drive from Phily and back. you will have great time
Old 08-25-2017, 05:35 PM

Yes, definitely do the train trip!!!! Our daughter was Ranger at Glacier Bay National Park and we toured all around the beautiful state. I especially remember the little quilt shop in Skagway, so friendly. Enjoy and please share your photos.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:28 AM

Thank you for sharing great info. We will be planning a trip when I retire also. Love the DIY adventure part and out of way places to see.

How long do you suggest for the trip? Best time of year to visit?

Thanks again!
Old 08-26-2017, 09:37 AM

GrandmaSusan: I finally met your son and family yesterday but not in Talkeetna. They have a booth at the State Fair in Palmer where I spent the day with my family. LOL Small town but I still don't know everybody! Their booth had some great stuff.
RhondaK: The length of your trip really depends on how many "side trips" you might want to do and how far you want to travel throughout the state. If you want to go guided fishing, plan a full day or 2 or 3 for that. And keep in mind that salmon have a "schedule" so certain species of salmon will only be in the rivers at certain times of the summer and in different parts of the state it is a different time. It takes a while to swim out of the ocean and make it up the rivers to spawning grounds. So King salmon fishing on the Kenai is earlier than King salmon fishing here in Talkeetna. Also subject to change per Fish and Game regulations.
Flight seeing trips are usually a couple of hours but you may have to wait for the weather. Hiking, ATV trips, museums, shopping or whatever takes time. And as MarleneC said travel can be slow with our 2 lane highways, minimal passing lanes and lower speed limits.
As far as best time of year, it's more of what you want to do than anything else. In my area, the tourist season starts on May 15th and goes to about the middle of Sept. At least that is the day that the bus tours and big hotels officially start. That doesn't mean things close up but they may have limited staff. Lots of college kids work up here for the summer and leave in Aug. for the next school year, but you never know.
As far as the weather, it's a crap shoot. Some years May is the nicest weather but we might still be melting snow. Or getting new snow. June can be truly beautiful but I'm still waiting for the garden to thaw out so we can plant. July has been known to rain the entire month, but this year it was pretty good. Aug. is the start of hunting season in parts of the state so you can all ready feel the cooler autumn air and notice a few colored leaves on the ground. But Alaskans don't NOT do things because of the weather (except flying). Just add a couple more layers and keep going!
In case you can't tell, I use to work at a Visitor Center in our area, so I've answered a lot of traveler's questions. It's been over 20 years ago, but some things never change!