Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new long arm and lots of questions >

new long arm and lots of questions

new long arm and lots of questions

Old 09-01-2017, 01:01 PM

Default new long arm and lots of questions

I just bought a new Avante HQ long arm and would love to hear any helps and hints that you long armers might have to help me to learn and use this wonderful machine. I haven't had time to mess with it since I just moved in and am unpacking but I want to be prepared. I bought a cord cover to put over the extension cord and had a hint from a lady at the shop that I bought the machine to put the power strip on the machine so it moves with the machine but put it on with Velcro. I have a lot to learn and I think the hardest thing will be to regulate how fast and steady I move the head. It moves so easy it is hard to control. Any helps are much appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Lynda
Old 09-01-2017, 04:32 PM

I suggest you check out machine quilting forums for tips and information. I think most brands have them. I particularly like mqresource.com it is a forum on machine quilting with people who have all different brands.

Peggy
Old 09-01-2017, 05:11 PM

Congratulations Lynda...I'm green with envy. I rent a HQ Avante at a LQS and it seems like a solid machine but I would just watch your tension closely...it seems to be one of the things the Avante is fussy with. Other than that, practice and enjoy!
Old 09-01-2017, 09:33 PM

welcome to the world of long arm quilting Lynda! you don't say if you already long arm (maybe on a rented machine) but my best 2 pieces of advice---be patient and practice--a lot. I was told to practice daily (which unfortunately I don't always take the time to do and it shows!) And secondly, load up a piece of inexpensive fabric and bat and plan on quilting it until it's covered with thread (a friend said to figure it's a picnic quilt and won't blow away!) use different weight threads so you get a feel for the way they handle.
Go ahead and purchase a couple of pantos--nothing wrong with pantos and it helps you get comfortable moving your machine with control (but remember that the panto lines don't have to be exact--relax). also get a couple of rulers--a straight edge and at least one that has a curve--you will add more as you go along and decide if you even like using rulers. I like Linda Taylor's straight edge one--fits my hand well, and DeLoa Jones boomerang, curved crosshatching rulers. But I love rulers and have many and am a sucker for more at shows, etc.

Speaking of shows--go to the biggies and invest in taking some long arm classes--I love them because I always learn something new. Opt for the classes that are at least classes that have you draw designs--the hands on classes are always more expensive, but if you can afford them, they are the best. also--take a maintenance class on your machine--long arm quilters learn to make lots of adjustments and maintenance that I'd drag my domestic machine to the repair shop. HQ has a good tech support--use it!

Most of us start by pinning our backs and tops (you will want to experiment with both loading the top completely and also floating the top--have the dealer show you both and discuss advantages of each), but you may want to move on to either using zippers or systems like Red Snappers for attaching the backs. But don't feel like you need to figure that out immediately--focus on getting comfortable loading your machine and quilting first. (I had to have my lap top with a YouTube video playing over and over for the first few months when loading my machine, now it's doable in my sleep)

Your dealer will probably tell you that ALL threads work great on your new machine--most of us find that certain threads just seem to be more problem-free--check with other owners of Avante's for best advice on that. For example, my Gammill doesn't seem to like YLI or Sulky thread for some weird reason--but loves #50 SoFine and Omni really well. Speaking of thread--download Superior Thread's free chart on their threads--even if you use another companies thread it serves as a good guide for similar thread type/weights showing the preferred needle size and type of use.
They also have a downloadable chart for bobbin tension for different threads. Other thread companies may provide the same--I mostly use Superior so don't know for sure.

Speaking of bobbins--I've found a Towa gauge invaluable--using it each time I wind a bobbin. Sure, I can judge bobbin tension dropping it into my hand, but the Towa is much more accurate and faster. Also--get your upper tension set and then adjust the bobbin tension as needed--that's right--bobbin tension is the one to adjust (I can hear my Mom shouting from her grave "Don't touch the bobbin tension!"--but that was a domestic machine!)

I usually buy 2 cones of the same color thread when I buy thread so that I can put one on the machine and one on my stand alone bobbin winder--makes things faster. I don't do this if it's a weird color or specialty thread that I'm not likely to use a lot. Buy your basic neutral color threads (white, creme, taupe, black, gray--and a sage green--that sage will blend with lots of things!)--you'll add more colors as you need.

not sure how much you currently mark your quilt projects on domestic machine, but do invest in some Pam Clarke (or similar) stencils that allow you to mark reference points. I didn't do this my first year and tried to basically not mark (worried that markings would not come out) and regret it. I use pounce chalk (white) with a foam brush for this purpose; water soluble blue marker and purple air erasable markers (less often because I'm still leery of them not disappearing) and my fav--F & P ceramic chalk marker and my Chaco chalk marker (but not the yellow!)

Look for and join a machine quilters guild--the one I belong to draws people from about 5 counties and only meets every other month, but I've learned a lot from the other ladies and that makes it worth it.

Lastly--don't compare yourself to others-I've come to realize we all develop our own "look" in LA just like any artist. I have a friend that is a master of feathers, another that does wonderful traditional custom work, another that does computer guided work that always looks perfect and another friend and I prefer more modern quilting. Focus on what YOU like best! And don't hesitate to ask the Board when those weird questions pop up! I've learned so much here.

P.S.--sorry this is so wordy!
Old 09-02-2017, 08:12 PM

'Tis is a great response. I can't think of much to add.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:16 AM

Find a good thread, like Superior's Omni, and stick with it. I've had zero tension problems since I got my Avante' in February. The one thing my machine is particular about is stitching from right to left. I corrected that problem by turning the front of my needle slightly to the right.

Have fun with it!
Old 09-03-2017, 09:45 AM
Banned

I've had my Avante for over a year and have had no problems adjusting the tension for different threads. It only takes a few minutes to test at the beginning of a quilt. I test my tension off the side of the quilt, make the adjustment, test again and off I go.

Cari
Old 09-03-2017, 06:10 PM

good advice from all. My fav quilting site is theinboxjaunt.com She does step by step instructions on various quilting motifs. She does have a book but alot of it is on her site as well. Practice on a white board with your elbow up. If you put your elbow down, you are teaching your hand the movements. You want to teach your ARM that muscle memory. I am also on MQResource.com....its a great resource and lots of nice machine quilters of all types.

Oh...and beware! Machine quilting can be addictive! I"m just sayin'!!
Old 09-03-2017, 07:20 PM

I watched a short free class on Craftsy by a longarmer when I first got my short arm (Juki 2010Q on a Gracie frame).

I'm not sure if this applies to your situation but I'll pass it on because it really made a huge difference to me!

The best piece of information I got from the class was to 'staple' the quilt to the leader. This changed my life. Using pins was a nightmare, I kept injuring myself and it just didn't stay. I hated loading the quilt which took forever! Stapling it was an epiphany! Now I can load a quilt in probably 10-15 minutes with 5 minutes cleaning my short arm.

I'm not sure if this is the same gal (since I watched the video awhile ago), but here's a youtube one that I think is her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF3Rr4KhTtg

And I bought this kind of stapler on Amazon: (Don't try and use your desk stapler it will drive you batty, you need one that is meant to be held vertically with the swivel that allows you to change how it bends the prongs. You want the 'pin' setting which is outwards instead of inwards for paper.)
https://smile.amazon.com/Rapid-Class...+stapler+90119

Good luck!

Last edited by kristijoy; 09-03-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:36 AM

I have an Avante as well and love it! I bought mine used with pro-stitcher. I live in an area that I had no support, so had to learn everything on my own. HQ has lots of videos on their site. Also check out FB there are several groups, and they can always help with any questions you may have. Good luck and enjoy!!!!!