Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecing and Quilting Myths >

Piecing and Quilting Myths

Piecing and Quilting Myths

Old 09-05-2017, 04:47 AM

My first quilt was a log cabin. The top was done in one day. Have you tried Eleanor Burns "Quilt In A Day Log Cabin Quilt" ? I didn't find it hard at all.!
Old 09-05-2017, 05:07 AM

"Only fabrics purchased at a "real" quilt shop qualifies as worthy of fabrics"
"Only "Heirloom" quilts should be considered as worthy of consideration as truly a quilt" ....
this one drives my crazy... look up what "Heirloom" actually means. It is not the one that has all those "perfect"stitches, or the one with the most expensive fabrics, or the one the the quilter spent years working on, or the one that is "so special" that it is hid in the closet.... it is the one that has memories of events, or passed down to generations, the one the child carried around for "protection" from the thunder and lightening or the "boogieman", the one wrapped the sick or dying parent or child, the one that you cried into when you lost your first love... or found them, the one you touch to remember who made it and why....yes, there are many quilts that qualify as "Heirloom" that will never be in a museum....because they are far too important to put on display.
They earned the badge of a true Heirloom.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:31 AM

Highly respected name brand fabrics from a LQS won't bleed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bleedingexample.jpg
Views:	1574
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	580097  
Old 09-05-2017, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
Highly respected name brand fabrics from a LQS won't bleed.
Thank You! People really look at me like I have 3 heads when I say this. I add salt and vinegar to the hottest water I can get, (yes, sometimes boiling it).
I especually am finding the newer 'pretty' colors are the worse......magentas, dark teals, vibrant oranges
Old 09-05-2017, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
Thank You! People really look at me like I have 3 heads when I say this. I add salt and vinegar to the hottest water I can get, (yes, sometimes boiling it).
I especually am finding the newer 'pretty' colors are the worse......magentas, dark teals, vibrant oranges
And I guess one of the myths I have heard is that the salt and vinegar only work on older fabrics with vegetable type dyes and not the newer chemical dyes!!
Old 09-05-2017, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

I just soak and rinse fabrics that turn the water a color until the water runs clear or I discard it (or try to return it if I still have the receipt).

I consider commercially dyed fabrics that are bleeders to be defective, and as such, it is okay to return them.

This does require keeping the receipt and dunking them on a timely basis - not ten years later!
Old 09-05-2017, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Jinny Beyer is my favorite designer but I can't do most of her stuff!!!
I bought a kit before I realized it was hand sewn... Even by machine it looks to difficult for me and I have the class to go with the kit! I'm sure I'll kick the bucket before I get to it on my list!
Old 09-05-2017, 09:31 AM

I can think of a few myths/falsehoods:

You can't make a good quilt without a fancy/expensive sewing machine, a dedicated sewing room, and lots of specialized rulers.
Binding must be sewn by hand.
It's rude to let a dog sleep on a handmade quilt, or to use it as a picnic blanket.
A handmade quilt must be instantly cherished and loved by its recipient, or they are a Bad Person.
Pre-cuts are always the right size.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:23 AM

I agree with each one of these comments. Yesterday I was watching Carol Doak on Craftsy doing a paper piece class and she made an interesting comment about scissors. She said it was confirmed with the scissor companies that cutting paper with your sewing scissors does NOT dull the blades and she cuts paper with her sewing scissors and same rotary cutter that she uses for fabric and has not had any problems.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
Even ready to wear clothes do this now. I bought a beautiful dark forest green blouse that I washed before wearing because of sizing issues. Wore it the other day, and when I took it off I discovered that my white bra and my armpits were a bright green! Hot water wash a couple times with vinegar and salt to try and rescue it......