Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pros and cons for construction of the Log Cabin >

Pros and cons for construction of the Log Cabin

Pros and cons for construction of the Log Cabin

Old 09-05-2017, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

I have made several log cabins. I am about due to make another. I have to follow a pattern or I get the colors on the wrong side. I cut strips to size and square up every so often. I made a log cabin variation shaped into hearts I need to try that again, I donated that one.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:45 PM

The video was really cool and very good. I would still make sure my blocks are square with each strip added before going on to the next one - I'm a bit OCD!!

There are also some great-looking videos along the right side of this video that I haven't had time to view yet, but there was the older Eleanor Burns video.

The quilt designs at the end of the video were really,cool - I'm going to play that part again so I can do a screen catch on my iPad - senior memory isn't all that great!!!!

Sandy in Mooresville, NC - love those log cab quilts - I've done a half log cabin years ago for my father-in-law which I now have back after he passed away.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:20 PM

Thank you everyone for the input. I enjoyed the video's and also watched a couple on Craftsy yesterday. I've decided to cut all my logs though someday I may try to PP them as that sounds the most accurate. I haven't mastered that technique yet. I watched Marti Mitchell use the Creative Grid and it does look like a big help. So far my blocks are turning out pretty good.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:14 AM

I've also made a lot cabin quilt piecing it entirely with a serger. It was in a class taught by Eleanor Burns. I can't bring myself to sandwich and quilt it though because I love looking at the nice neat even seams.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I have made one log cabin. I took a class and we used the Eleanor Burns method of strips. No squaring off. We were all dubious. The instructor said "trust the process" and we did and all of our quilts turned out fine. I would do that again.
I trust Eleanor Burns all the time, love that woman.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:50 AM

I cut my pieces as I go, cutting each one a little larger than I need, trimming to the right size after I sew each round.
I have found that with that many pieces, inaccuracy is a given. I have made many,many log cabin quilts in the last 30 years.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:40 PM

Well, I guess I violate all the rules of the "Quilt Police", but all I've ever had is a block layout to make my log cabin quilts. I cut my block centers, and using strips cut lengthwise of the grain, cut the strips the length of my yardage. For convenience sake (storage), I wind the strips around the cardboard toilet paper rolls, pinning each length to the preceding length. Then, I strip piece following the block layout I've decided to use. I always press the seams after each strip, and square up after each log. I am an absolute rank amateur when it comes to piecing quilts, but this works for me. I am very careful not to stretch the fabric as I work with it. I've never had a problem with wonky blocks. It works for me, but it's safe to say that it's not likely to work for everyone.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:55 PM

I am using the creative grids curved log cabin ruler. I chained pieced through each step and then trimmed that step. I love it and have decided to double the size of my quilt since it is coming so well! Cut Loose has a lot of patterns available for the curvey log cabin in several sizes.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:19 AM

Same as dunster. I use michel's ruler. Cut on length of fabric and blocks come out perfect.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

I start with the center piece cut to the size I want to start with and use oversize pieces for the logs and trim them to the proper size after each one is added. I find this to be the most accurate for me.

I am not a real good piecer so this keeps everything sized properly.