Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Avante vs. Innova >

Avante vs. Innova

Avante vs. Innova

Old 09-07-2017, 07:25 PM

Default Avante vs. Innova

I tried out the Avante today and am going next week to try the Innova. My question about the Avante is that I am wondering if there is a reason to go for the 24" Fusion rather than the 18" Avante (I am only 5'1" tall so my quilting reach isn't great). And is the Fusion harder to quilt with than the Avante since it is bigger and would weigh more.
Also, concerning the Innova can anyone explain the difference to me concerning the standard stitch regulator and the lightning stitch - wondering if lightning stitch is worth the money. Also, what is the difference between the Navigator that is less expensive and based on a tablet or the more expensive one that is based on a regular computer. I don't even understand what this difference is. Can someone explain because it is a big price difference.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:06 PM

I have Innova and love it. I do NOT have the lightening stitch, as far as I can tell the only difference is you can change stitch size on front of machine. I would NEVER use that so I didn't bother
Old 09-07-2017, 10:18 PM
Power Poster

I choose the INNOVA 26 in. with lightning stitch. Get it with the lightning stitch and skip the Navigator. It is what sets the machine apart and the lightning stitch is why many people buy the INNOVA. The learning curve will be lower also and your work consistent in stitch length, sharp and precise.

As for going with the Fusion over the Avante, the fusion has a much bigger opening. You won't regret it. I did feel the Fusion is heavier then the INNOVA 26 in. and it is was slightly harder to control and get the detail for me.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by speters54 View Post
I tried out the Avante today and am going next week to try the Innova. My question about the Avante is that I am wondering if there is a reason to go for the 24" Fusion rather than the 18" Avante (I am only 5'1" tall so my quilting reach isn't great). And is the Fusion harder to quilt with than the Avante since it is bigger and would weigh more.
Also, concerning the Innova can anyone explain the difference to me concerning the standard stitch regulator and the lightning stitch - wondering if lightning stitch is worth the money. Also, what is the difference between the Navigator that is less expensive and based on a tablet or the more expensive one that is based on a regular computer. I don't even understand what this difference is. Can someone explain because it is a big price difference.
If you're looking for support, Innova is the way to go. They're available 24/7/365. The Innova is made to be easily serviced by YOU, not by taking it in to the shop or paying to have someone come to your home. They can usually talk you through ANY problems you're having on the phone. Plus, the support on the Yahoo Innova groups is invaluable, especially with experts like Renae Haddadin on those boards. You'll be amazed at how much they will help!

Remember that while you may have more inches with the 24", it won't be worth the money if you're straining to hit the longer area because of your height.

I have the lightning stitch, and it's WONDERFUL. For the first time ever, I've got consistent stitches, no matter how fast or slow I'm stitching.

I don't have the Navigator or AutoPilot - I'm a free-hander all the way, and have not had an interest in those options, so I can't help with that one.

I chose the Innova for the simple fact that I love the empowerment Innova gives me with my machine - I'm in control of everything from my stitching to servicing my machine. I'm not afraid of my longarm anymore. I'm not worried about the how's and why's of my machine. Innova stands 100% behind their machines. It was worth every penny I spent.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:32 AM
anonymous

I am sure both machines are good. It is what feels right to you. I have the innova with the lightning stitch and the computerized program (mach 3). I am totally happy with my set up. How many times can you say that. I did have a issue on a Saturday (user error) that I was able to call the "on call" tech for help. He was working his garage sale, but stopped and walked me through what I needed to do. The customer service is awesome. I notice you are from Indiana, and wanted to mention that accomplish quilting just opened a new shop in Indy. Maybe that is closer for you. Good luck!

Old 09-08-2017, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

I bought the 26" Innova before lightning stitch was available. I got the standard stitch regulator and was very happy with it for many years, while Innova continued to improve their product with an improved hook assembly, ratchets to control the turning of the rails, and other features. Recently I decided to add lightning stitch and some of the other new features to my machine. I am really impressed with lightning stitch. I was happy enough before, but now I am thrilled. My stitches used to be just a little longer if I didn't remember to control speed when starting up or changing direction, and now they are always even. The controls for lightning stitch are much easier than for the standard stitch regulator, so I change my stitch length more frequently. One of the features I really love is that I can set the stitch length long enough for basting, which was not possible with the standard stitch regulator. I can't say whether LS would be "worth it" to you, but I decided that it was worth it to me to change to it.

I do not have robotics. I've thought about adding it, and still might someday. If I were quilting professionally, I would definitely add it, but at this point I'm only quilting for myself and a few friends and enjoy guiding the machine myself. I did ask Renae Haddadin to explain the difference between Navigator and AutoPilot several years ago at the Innova booth at a show. There are mechanical differences in how the two systems are hooked up and driven (with AutoPilot's system being far superior), as well as differences in the capability of the software. I decided that I would purchase AutoPilot over Navigator because the features it offered were ones that I knew I would want to have. Since then I understand that both systems have been enhanced. Your dealer should be able to show you the differences between the two, both in mechanics and in software.

As far as 24" vs. 18", I would go for the 24". You will use the extra inches and will miss not having them. The exception would be if you plan to work on small wall hangings, doing intricate work.

I don't know anything about the other machines, but I do recommend Innova for quality and support.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:52 AM

I'm 5'2" and I have an Avante. I love it. I don't think I'd be able to reach the extra 2" and I'm able to do what I need to do with the 18".
Old 09-08-2017, 07:07 AM

I have a Fusion and I'm 6ft tall and I have the table set at the highest possible, for me the reach is perfect as I also have long arms (no pun intended). Try try try before you buy and find what is comfortable for you, good luck!!
Old 09-08-2017, 07:25 AM

I'm a member of a group of about 20 longarmers. Over the last 5 years, many of them have moved from their existing setup (brands all across the spectrum) to Innova and are completely happy. Our conversations have moved from "how did you handle this problem" to "hey check out what I did last week!" and we are having so much fun!

A few years ago, Gammill's then-largest dealer, Boersma's outside of Portland, switched to selling Innova. I think that says a lot.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:58 AM

When I was looking for a longarm, I tried a couple of them in my area as I also wanted good customer service. When I decided on the Innova, then I had to decide on whether to get the regular stitch regulator or go for the lightening stitch. I was able to find two different machines in my area when the owners allowed me to test them out and I decided on the lightening stitch though I knew with the robotics I would attach to it didn't need it. But I was looking into the future too and thought if I ever decided to sell it, it would go faster with the lightening stitch more so than the other stitch regulator. Plus having the control pad up front on the machine is so much easier to change speed, etc. than having to try to reach to the back or walk back to change.

Also, I have APQS in my town and for the money I feel I could get more for the bucks with Innova than with APQS with what extras I wanted to add to the system.