Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another "how to quilt this"... >

Another "how to quilt this"...

Another "how to quilt this"...

Old 09-24-2017, 09:26 AM

How about a diagonal grid/cross hatching the squares. Might look cool with the spiral centers.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

You could also do cursive "l"s around each square. I like the idea of circular design on a rectangular block. It will look beautiful whatever you decide.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

I can't wait to see the completed quilt. I love those blocks and fabric. One looks like an older Jinny Beyer. So pretty!
Old 09-24-2017, 01:04 PM

Just do big stipples on the rest, it will be beautiful.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
That is the problem. You do not like the swirls (I think they are great!) so it is hard to come up with the next thing. We tend to do this to ourselves more often than not! Think about what it is about the swirls you don't like and work around that. Example - is it because they are circular in a square? If so, perhaps a linear pattern (diamonds?) would work in the rectangular pieces. If you don't care for them being by themselves, perhaps a diagonal line thru the whole quilt would work. Please be sure and post it after you decide.
Your right. It helps to really break it down as to the "why" of my dislike. It's not that I don't like swirls...I do! That's why I initially used them. I had SITD around the squares so when I added the swirls it made the center flatter. In doing so, I thought that doing more quilting in the outer square would make it all blend to much (i.e. too much quilting). That's why the tilted square appealed to me. It meets the requirement of quilting in the square, but not so much quilting it flattens the whole block out. I have heard it suggested that circular quilting motifs go well with more geometric block patterns so I though I would give that a go. I try to do something new on each quilt. I am happy to report I am making progress on the quilting. Actually today I am sore from a whole weekend of quilting. My goal is to have the quilt finished by Friday night, so I have to finish the large star in star blocks (not pictured), the border and binding. Yikes! Thanks for all the suggestions and I will definitely post a picture when finished.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:23 PM

First of all I really like the quilting you have done and would not consider taking out a single stitch. Add something to the blocks such as feathers or stippling depending on your taste and experience level. The most recent Sewing with Nancy had some great ideas for machine quilting.