Brother 1351-A

Old 09-25-2017, 03:05 AM

Default Brother 1351-A

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581147[/ATTACH]
It's so shiny new looking, as if it's been stored away unused. Picked up at moving sale across the street for $5. I've searched for a manual, but best I can find is a Youtube video showing how to thread. It sews beautiful stitches--only straight and reverse, and the feed dogs will drop. I guess that's enough to know. I would like to know where the oiling points are, tho.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1177.JPG
Views:	2054
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	581147  
Old 09-25-2017, 09:38 AM

I think you may need Cari's help. She's the resident Brother expert.

I suspect that the model number may have more letters or numbers than you have. I've looked through a couple of Brother Machine manual lists and did not find a 1350. It's also not in the Yahoo Japanese machine group's files.

Bkay
Old 09-25-2017, 10:41 AM

You can safely assume all the holes on top are oil points, there are a few in connection with the bobbin winder, and sometimes there's one for the axle holding the hand wheel and stop motion screw. Sometimes the hand wheel needs to come off for oiling, especially machines comming out of long term storage. If there's a lid in the back, investigate parts there, all joints, gears, hinges, metal parts moving against each other needs a few drops of oil (assuming it's very dry). The same from behind the face plate and under the base; have the stitch lenth lever on maxium length, turn the hand wheel and oil end of rods. I'm sure you are onto it already. These models are often very close, and by searchin up model 15 clones you might find exactly your model under various names.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:53 AM

If you will type in on your computer, your machine number and get a manual place, they have them free.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:55 PM

Here's a link to a generic manual for a class 15 straight stitch machine: http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...ion-manual.pdf.
That's a great-looking machine, by the way.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

Pretty machine! Great find!
Old 09-25-2017, 09:19 PM
Banned

That's a real beauty! I don't have this model(yet!) but I do have a similar Brother straight stitch machine. An HA1 manual might work, I'm not sure if this one has the same type of upper tension assembly or the one that's just a hair different in the threading of the upper tension. But it looks like you got that covered. Mickey pretty much nailed it on the oiling. I don't think I can add anything useful.

Cari
Old 09-26-2017, 09:02 PM

You all are a bad influence on me. I saw this and the first thing I thought was , "Ooooo, pretty blue!" I'm like Golum with his Precious, lol.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
You all are a bad influence on me. I saw this and the first thing I thought was , "Ooooo, pretty blue!" I'm like Golum with his Precious, lol.
I'm the same way with most Brother machines, for me it's all about the brand, not so much the color. I want them all lol.

Cari
Old 09-27-2017, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
You can safely assume all the holes on top are oil points, there are a few in connection with the bobbin winder, and sometimes there's one for the axle holding the hand wheel and stop motion screw. Sometimes the hand wheel needs to come off for oiling, especially machines comming out of long term storage. If there's a lid in the back, investigate parts there, all joints, gears, hinges, metal parts moving against each other needs a few drops of oil (assuming it's very dry). The same from behind the face plate and under the base; have the stitch lenth lever on maxium length, turn the hand wheel and oil end of rods. I'm sure you are onto it already. These models are often very close, and by searchin up model 15 clones you might find exactly your model under various names.
Thx, Mickey2. I think I hit all the oil spots (sans taking the handwheel off!) It has the little door in back, and I've turned it upside down..cleaned, and oil everywhere there's a hole or moving joint. Oh wow!, it weighs a ton, even tho it looks so slim and dainty! I have to find a permanent place for it as it makes such a beautiful stitch, I'm thinking it will be my "go to" for piecing.