Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem with borders- not straight >

Problem with borders- not straight

Problem with borders- not straight

Old 09-26-2017, 06:18 PM

SusieQOH, I think you are right in thinking that the mitered corners were your problem. I've had the same issue, but luckily I noticed early enough to redo the miters. I'm really careful to make sure they are squared before I trim now. I hope you find a solution. It is a lovely quilt.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:31 AM

Did you quilt it or have it quilted?

I've had quilts that were straight when they went to the quilter come back crooked. Now, I always show the quilter that the quilt top was straight when they got it.

bkay
Old 09-27-2017, 06:31 AM

You might be able to ease it in with the binding. Measure through the middle of the quilt both width and length, then cut 4 pieces of binding - 2 the width measurement and 2 the length measurement - plus enough to finish the corners. The corners can be finished with a miter or trimmed even on one side and tucked under and slip stitched together on the other. As an example, easing in 1" on a 60" quilt sounds like a lot, but it equates to 1/4" per 15" or 1/8" per 7 1/2". Some people will be horrified at this idea, but I've seen it work successfully.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
You may be able to block it. I have successfully blocked quilts with bowed borders. I have a design wall, but you could do this on a carpeted floor or head to a home supply store to purchase 1 or 2 sheet of insulation foam (it comes in 4' x 8' sheets.

i put a white sheet on my design wall and then use a water soluble marker to mark a square/ rectangle that is larger than the quilt. Use your biggest square ruler to make sure all 4 corners are true 90degree angles.

then lay your quilt outn your prepared surface, pinning it as you go and using the square you marked as a rough guideline. Next spray water on the quilt until it is damp all the way through-- you don't need to get it sopping wet.

once it is damp begin to gently stretch it toward the edges that you marked and pin it to the surface as you go. You may need to go around the perimeter of the quilt several times before you get it good and square. Let it dry overnight.

hope that helps.

Rob
Thanks for telling how to block a quilt. I have seen directions in quilting magazines that say block your quilt, but assume you know what they're talking about.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:47 AM

You might want to purchase a metal carpenter's right angle square to check corners, etc. I block all my quilts by pinning them to my carpet, squaring them as I go.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pmcfarlin View Post
Thanks for telling how to block a quilt. I have seen directions in quilting magazines that say block your quilt, but assume you know what they're talking about.
If you google "how to block a quilt" you will get loads of tutorials, both YouTube and written with lots of pictures. There are so many variations on how to do it but they all involve wetting the quilt down and letting it dry pinned in place.

You can also block an unfinished quilt block. Great for when you have a situation where one of your blocks measured 12 1/2 and another measures 12 1/4. I have done it many times. I have a cork bulletin board in my sewing room with a true 12 1/2" square marked on it in permanent marker for blocking blocks.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:09 PM

I just want to add to Rob's excellent instructions - you can also check for square by measuring diagonally. Both measurements (nw corner to se corner, and sw corner to ne corner) should be the same.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:19 AM

If blocking doesn't work, although I believe it would, you could make the outer border scalloped.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghquilter53 View Post
If blocking doesn't work, although I believe it would, you could make the outer border scalloped.
That's a wonderful idea!!!!!!!! I have a scallop ruler for that. I think I may go that route, thanks! Never dawned on me
Old 09-28-2017, 04:38 AM

This won't be much help now, but I always add my borders the way Bonnie Hunter does at Quiltville.com. Works every time.