Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Tips for FMQing on a 15-91 Please? >

Tips for FMQing on a 15-91 Please?

Tips for FMQing on a 15-91 Please?

Old 09-27-2017, 08:41 AM

Default Tips for FMQing on a 15-91 Please?

I'm FMQing on my 15-91 for the first time and I'm bumping into a few hiccups that I didn't have while FMQing the same quilt on my 'modern' Brother XR3240. For example, my backing is puckering when it never did before. And I'm having quite a time trying to slow my speed down. I have a knee controller. What are everyone's favorite tips or tricks of the trade for FMQing on your vintage machines? I would love to hear them and learn from the wise!
Old 09-28-2017, 07:53 AM

I have a 15-91 for the same purpose. I'll be interested in what others say too!
Old 09-28-2017, 08:46 AM

I'm not a FMQ expert, but if your material is puckering on the bottom the bobbin tension might be too high. Try using a sample piece to set the tension, and use different colors top and bottom. Ideally, the stitch should be buried and you should only see one color on each side.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:56 AM

I have done it, I was unable to drop my feed dogs so I tape a index card over top of the feed dogs. I just free motions full throttle and just kept moving the Quilt. It was just meandering, but it worked out fine for me.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:01 AM

You should in theory have perfect stitching on this model. I have seen the most impressive freehand embroidery done on it, both very sheer fabrics and a bit heavier cotton. You might do the yo-yo test on the bobbin case and double check the needle. A lot has to do with even movement of the hands and steady speed. The knee lever controller is quite good, and you will develop a feel for it. The mechanism in there can be serviced and adjusted, carbon stack can be cleaned, it's often a DIY job unless you can find a repair guy who are willing to do it.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:01 AM
Banned

I have an old 15 clone that loves to do free motion work. I also love using a knee controller but it takes some getting used to, I did a lot of sewing with a knee controller until I was used to it and could use it without actively thinking about it. You might think about basting your layers better to control the puckering on the back. Sometimes I'll use a combination of pins and thread basting when I'm gonna be shoving and bunching a larger quilt through the machine so my back doesn't shift on me. If this is your first attempt with the 15-91 I'd say just practice some more until you're real comfortable with the machine.

Cari
Old 09-28-2017, 11:21 AM

I haven't started FMQ yet, but you can remove your controller (the foot) from the knee bracket. It comes out by pushing upward. Generally, it's just wedged in a bracket. There are no screws or anything that you have to remove. If it's been there a while, it may be stubborn. If it's a singer cabinet, it should pop right out.

bkay
Old 09-29-2017, 05:20 AM

Check the pressure on the foot and loosen, see if that helps.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:53 AM

Default One More Question

Thanks so much for all your advice! I'm getting more comfortable with it and am really enjoying how smooth it is and the large harp space!

I agree, Cari, I think I should baste the quilt a bit more to avoid the pluckering. This quilt is for family use (ONLY) so at least I don't have high hopes of a blue ribbon being dashed

So yesterday while I was practicing, the button on the knee controller/ foot pedal inside the cabinet started sticking in place while sewing. Really annoying because the machine will just keep stitching at a hair-raising rate while I'm jumping up to unplug it-- the only way to switch it off. I know it's not the motor. I know it's not the actual knee bracket either, because when I lifted up the machine to see what was happening, the knee bracket itself wasn't touching the button on the controller, but the button was pushed down. This morning I took the controller apart and I think it's just that the old plastic is sticking. I cleaned all the old dust off it and tried to sew again, but it keeps doing it. What to do? Do I need to buy a new controller/ foot pedal?
Old 09-29-2017, 06:09 AM

My 15-91 clone does beautiful FMQ but the original foot pedal only allowed stop and go at full speed. I replaced it with an electronic pedal and have much better results since I can control the speed.