Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trading Up My Machine >

Trading Up My Machine

Trading Up My Machine

Old 09-29-2017, 11:04 AM

Default Trading Up My Machine

Hi - I have a Juki QVP2200 mini. I like it a lot, but miss having a few more stitches to use. I am considering trading it in (dealer has a 100% trade-in allowance in first year, and I need that $) and getting something with more features. I have an old basic mechanical machine that has more stitches but my daughter has taken it over, plus it has a hard time with quilts.

Two machines that have caught my eye are the Janome 9400 and the Brother VQ 2400/3000 type. I love the huge throat space on the Brother, but it feels like it has a lot of features that I'm not sure I need. The Janome seems like it might be a good option.

I looked at the new Janome 6700P but I'd like a bigger throat if possible. Otherwise, I like that machine a lot too. (They're asking about $3K for it right now in case anyone is wondering what they run. Does anyone know roughly what I should expect to pay for the other machines?)

Anyone have any opinions on these choices? Is there anything other machine I should be looking at? The dealer carries just about every brand out there. I will be going for "test drives" before I decide.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:35 AM

One thing I should add is that the dealer has a Brother VQ 5100, that someone else traded in, available for a good price (under $4K). Is that worth considering? They would heavily discount/maybe throw in a muvit foot for me.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:43 PM

I can't find the VQ 5100 when I google it. Are you sure it's not a different model number?

Personally I love my Janome. It's an 8200 and I love the 11" throat, auto cutter, smoothness, quietness, intuitiveness,
and it's a dream to FMQ on.

But I'm sure the Brother is a good contender. I would check throat height as well as length on both. It's amazing the difference an inch or two of space makes.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:01 PM

Yes, definately consider throat height. I swapped to a machine with a higher throat space yet smaller throat width than my Bernina 710.....don't miss the extra width at all so far and am loving how easy it is to gt my quilts through with the extra little bit of height.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:38 PM

I'm would go the 9400 or the brother 5100. The muvit foot is the best feature on the brother so if you get the 5100 make sure it's included. I'm have the 6200d and have considered the 9400 but my 6200 does everything is need beautifully
Old 09-29-2017, 09:20 PM

Thank you all for your thoughts.
zozee, I looked again and I was off on the model - it is the VM5100 - Dreamcreator XE. If it wasn't for the huge throat and what I think is a good deal, I'm not sure I'd be considering it. It feels like it will have a big learning curve for me. Maybe too much machine for the level I am at. But I haven't tried it yet and people say the Brothers are relatively easy to use.
The Brother throat is 11.25 x 5 for a whopping 56.25 square inches. The Janome 9400 is 11 x 4.7 for 51.7 sq in, the 6700 is 10 x 4.7 for 47 sq in, and the Juki I have is 8.5 x 6 for 51. I quilted a twin size with a flannel back and really had to shove it through the Juki throat. I thought it would fit through more easily. The 9400 is basically the same size.
I think I might take the last twin quilt I made to the shop with me, and see how hard it is to squeeze it through the various machines. I need to try to get over there this weekend.
I also need to remember that the few times I'll make a quilt larger than a twin, I could rent a long arm or pay to have it quilted. Not my preferred way, but once in awhile is OK.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:09 AM

I have the Janome 9400 (traded up from 8900 when 9400 came out). The auto presser foot was the reason but have found other things I like ...the moveable light over the needle really helps the old eyes and that third needle plate ( HP) and foot allow the machine to do a straight stitch almost identical to the one I get on my juki tl2010q (which is darn near perfect!). I’ve found the 9400 a bit picky when I quilt....prefers Janome purple tip needles; for anything else any needles work fine.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:35 AM

I would suggest the Janome 9400..It's great machine. gshalom is a great machine. I've had a Viking machine for a number of years and the auto pressure foot is wonderful. When quilting it's so handy.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:01 AM

Thank you for replies.
The light on the 9400 is certainly appealing. Lighting has become an issue for me over the past several years. That machine just has a lot of nice features in general though. The Juki has poor lighting and they did not address that with the new model. Even the young women in our guild use extra lighting with them.
What does "auto presser foot" mean exactly? Are they easier to use somehow? The presser foot is not really something that has bothered me. Other machine functions, I wish for something better or different, but that is not one of them. Maybe that's just a failure of imagination!
Dolphyngyrl, Do you find the multifunctional Brothers - sew, embroider, quilt - do all three well? Does having embroidery on a machine make using it for quilting more complicated? (does that bar on the left come off?) I don't see doing embroidery for now but would not rule it out for later. That muvit foot is very intriguing, but I wonder if the little belt wears down over time so that it doesn't grip well anymore.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:21 AM

I have two Janome machines and I love both of them...hopefully you have had an opportunity to test drive the 9400 and the Brother and have dealer support in your area.