Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
17th Mystery Quilt Train Ride Sept. 9, 2017 >

17th Mystery Quilt Train Ride Sept. 9, 2017

17th Mystery Quilt Train Ride Sept. 9, 2017

Old 09-27-2017, 01:13 PM

Miss Giggle - your fabrics. make me smile. But .... something does not look right. Assuming the floral is your A, B is yellow and C is the muted small print? . .....The little blocks that were assembled into squares, The B fabric and the A fabric should have the C background fabric. And the geese .... If I have the A B C fabrics right in my mind, they are incorrect. Please PM me if you need help, or just post on the thread if I am totally wrong and out of line.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:40 PM

I'll get the next clue a little late.....On the road tomorrow and Florida bound. Hopefully they can hook up our internet quickly
Old 09-28-2017, 03:57 AM

Travel safely Jaba.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:31 AM

Yippee! Not too much longer for the next clue!
Old 09-30-2017, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
Miss Giggle - your fabrics. make me smile. But .... something does not look right. Assuming the floral is your A, B is yellow and C is the muted small print? . .....The little blocks that were assembled into squares, The B fabric and the A fabric should have the C background fabric. And the geese .... If I have the A B C fabrics right in my mind, they are incorrect. Please PM me if you need help, or just post on the thread if I am totally wrong and out of line.
Thanks for your help Judy...and no, I am not embarrassed at all! Some people call what I have Directional Disability Syndrome. I can live with that, I just adapt and adjust and will view your layout before I make any changes! It just might end up a "Creative Variance"! lol
Old 09-30-2017, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by missgigglewings View Post
Thanks for your help Judy...and no, I am not embarrassed at all! Some people call what I have Directional Disability Syndrome. I can live with that, I just adapt and adjust and will view your layout before I make any changes! It just might end up a "Creative Variance"! lol
I just love that phrase.....Creative Variance. Got to remember that one. I am not good at written directions any more at all. I am finding that I am a much more visual person these days. Creative Variance....love it! Can you hear me laughing?
Old 09-30-2017, 06:48 AM

Barb - Creative Variance strikes a cord in my heart. I like this saying much more than Humility Block! Ok, off to get the final clue posted for the mystery. Do one last read on the directoins, and will see you in a few minutes
Old 09-30-2017, 06:59 AM

Default Final clues

And here we are at the end of another mystery. I hope you enjoyed the journey and that you will like the way your completed runner looks.

So, first of all, you will need to cut the D fabric – cut three pieces that each measure 5-1/2” square.

Gather together all the pieces you constructed the past few weeks. Lay out the three blocks (one center block and two end blocks – see the notation on the pictures) as shown in the photos. One of the pictures shows the corner blocks before I sewed them together, forgot to retake another picture of them sewn into the corners. Think of the layout as a simple 9-patch and sew together. Press well, being careful not to stretch. Each of the 3 blocks will measure 15.5” square. If they are a little off, plus or minus a tiny bit, it will be fine as long as all three blocks are the same size and that they are square.

And now is the time to decide on the sashing and border for your runner. Use fabric from your blocks or do as I did. Your runner, your choice on how you finish it. I used two entirely different fabrics, but I think I would have used the D hearts fabric for a border if I had had enough because I love it so much. The sashing is a black with tiny multicolored pin dots.

I used 1.5” strips for the sashing, cutting 4 pieces that measure 15.5”; sew these pieces on first. Piece together a WOF of fabric and another piece, two pieces that will measure the long edge of the runner, sew and press.

Cut border fabric at 2-1/2”, or wider or less if you wish. Sew on the short ends, press, sew on the long sides and press.

Remember when I told you I saw a cute tree border if you are making Christmas? It is the last picture.

Sandwich with a backing of your choice; spray baste or pin, and quilt; trim; sew on binding. Done! Can’t wait to see your runners from all the beautiful fabrics you have been posting. And those of you who were asking about making a larger quilt, see why I couldn’t give yardage? Will be wondering if you go ahead and make a larger quilt of the pattern using an equal number of the two different blocks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	week 4 a.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	581506   Click image for larger version

Name:	week 4 b.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	581507   Click image for larger version

Name:	week 4 c.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	581508   Click image for larger version

Name:	week 4 d.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	581509   Click image for larger version

Name:	week 4e.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	581510  

Old 09-30-2017, 07:17 AM

OH NO!!! I just realized my completed pieces are in my 2nd home about 30 miles from me. I am a live-in Nanny and only have every other weekend off. This is one I am off, so I will have to wait till I go back Sunday evening to see if I have created another fine mess! Woe is me!

lol...I was looking for the "like" button! Wrong hang-out!
Old 09-30-2017, 07:34 AM

Thanks for a great mystery, Judy. I'm working on a quilt right now for a friend who got a breast cancer diagnosis, but I plan to get to this very soon. I appreciate your time and creativity in doing this for us.