Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you're finished... >

When you're finished...

When you're finished...

Old 10-02-2017, 12:42 PM

Default When you're finished...

What thoughts do you have about your machine(s), tools, stash, patterns, UFOs, books and other quilt related items when you no longer are able to quilt, no longer want to quilt, or are deceased? What have you instructed your family and/or friends to do? It doesn't seem right to "dump" the problem on someone else without guidance. Not sure there is a single charity that will/can take all you generous donations. And how about those UFO's that are "almost" finished?

Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:02 PM

My daughter has been instructed to distribute my sewing machines as she sees fit especially to the grands. There are enough for all. That goes for all of the sewing supplies, patterns, and fabric. Beyond that she is to take the rest to the quilting guild, for those members to take what they wish. Then Good Will, gets the rest. That is my plan and she agrees to do this. I love my daughter!!!
Old 10-02-2017, 02:01 PM

Good question. At 75 years old, I realize that my 'good quilting days' is in the final days of fun, but I am going as long as I can. Daughter has little interest in quilting, at least now she is way too busy to consider it. But since I will not be around then, its up to her then.

Meanwhile, I encourage others to quilt and selectively buy more fabric and maybe a book or two. Life goes on, and I intend to enjoy every second of it. Still learning new ideas and looking at different things to do and its still fun...and to read all about things on QB. Thanks to all, I am still learning every day. And I have given away a lot of my stash, just keeping enough for the next 20 years!
Old 10-02-2017, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

That's a really good question.
I have 3 sons, no daughters. Two of my DIL's sew a bit and one loves quilts so I hope they will take my stuff and enjoy it. I know for certain they would like my machines, in fact, I bought one of them a Featherweight and she uses it a lot.
I haven't specified anything yet, but hope my kids would donate to a worthy cause, be it people, groups, or anyone they think would enjoy my things.
I'm the only quilter in my entire family. No Grandmothers, Mom, sister, Aunts nobody quilts!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2017, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

....... just like all of your other personal items, consider now what should happen to them and be sure you leave written instructions, if you have specific wishes.

Some have told friends before that they will get their stash, machines etc, but those friends were later disappointed when the family members did otherwise. Honestly, they should not be blamed, if they had not been told such ..... and thought the friends were just grabbing at what was not theirs to have.

So don't leave assumptions, as that usually is a disaster.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

it is in my Will to contact quilt shops or guilds to find fellow quilters to come and get it!! what a sale day that will be. I know he will just give it all away and that is fine with me.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

My Daughter will get all my machines, fabrics and sewing related items. I have two Granddaughters that have absolutely no interest in learning to sew or make quilts. I have told them to find a quilting guild to take what they can't use.
I talk to them all the time so all know what to do.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:48 PM

I've told my granddaughter she has 1st choice of everything sewing related. I've been working at reducing my stash by sewing as many quilts as I can but it is a long slow process!
Old 10-02-2017, 05:06 PM

My daughter likes to quilt and did so before she got married. She has since made t-shirt quilts for friends but now she works full time and has 3 children 8,4 & 2 so she doesn't have time to quilt. She will get my longarm and my sewing machine..granddaughter likes to sew but is a teacher and thinking of starting a family...she will get my featherweight. The fabric and tools will go with the machines as they are needed. Older machines, 301 singer, 158 Kenmore will go to whom ever wants them or DD is in charge and thrift will get what is not wanted by family or friends.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:13 PM

I am the only quilter in my family. My best friend is a quilter. We have talked, and made our plans known. I get her stuff, and she gets mine....I joke with her that I don't know what to actually do with all "our" stuff, because she's going first!!