Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you're finished... >

When you're finished...

When you're finished...

Old 10-02-2017, 05:57 PM

I suppose I will leave all of my sewing-related 'stuff' to my one sis...she's the only one in the family even remotely interested/inclined. Unless I come up with a friend who has a greater interest in the meantime. Otherwise, I suppose DH will put it all out for a yard sale. I won't be there so whatever he decides is fine.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:40 PM

I told my husband I will haunt him if he throws ANY of my quilting supplies away when I die! LOL He has been instructed to sell it or give it away to another quilter if our daughters or anyone else in our family isn't interested. At this time no one is.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:01 AM

All of my stuff would fit in a truck load to the local Salvation Army ....well maybe not the quilting frame. But then again, he always packs the truck bed well whenever we buy something, so maybe. My children are interested in the quilts, but not the material, batting, books, etc. I'm trying to downsize as I go along.
If he goes first I have no idea what to do. He buys antique tractors, farm impliments, and builds race cars. The are a million bolts, screws, nuts, and tools in his workshop and the outbuilding. Two tractor trailers and five cars and pick-ups. It will take years to sell off everything. Compared to him I have very little.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:34 AM

If I go first, SO's daughter has agreed to sell all my machines and quilting frames (hand and long-arm) and donate the money to my designated charity. Then all the rest of the "stuff" will be offered to a local quilt guild. This was SOs idea, as he said he wouldn't even know where to begin with it. And if he is first, his son-in-law has been asked to come over and take care of the garage.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:38 AM

Great topic. I hope to scale down as I get older if I am sewing less. My only child passed away and his wife has remarried. I am still close to her and she will probably handle things for me but I don't wish it to be a burden. One of my granddaughters loves to sew.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:04 AM

My daughter is not a quilter. She tried it and did not enjoy it. I have two nieces who love to quilt. I told her to distribute my sewing machines, stash and tools between the two nieces. She has no problem in doing that
Old 10-03-2017, 04:22 AM

Mine goes to my Quilt Guilds community quilts to do as they see fit. After a friend gave me her mom's stash after she passed I realized. No one wants your stash. By the time you give it up, it's old, dated and dusty. She had almost a dozen UFO's. They were UFO's for a reason. After I completed 5 I gave up. To the free table they went. All but the polyester blend fabrics, they went to the trash.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:11 AM

I have told my daughters to have a rummage sale advertising quilting supplies after they and grand-kids pick out what they want. Then the rest can go to at least three churches I know of who will take anything.

The sewing machines could be sold at the rummage sale, but not too cheaply. I would hope they would want to keep a few rare ones, but what is left should to given to the "Sewing Machine Project" in Madison, WI. They distribute machines to needy people all over the world.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Mine goes to my Quilt Guilds community quilts to do as they see fit. After a friend gave me her mom's stash after she passed I realized. No one wants your stash. By the time you give it up, it's old, dated and dusty. She had almost a dozen UFO's. They were UFO's for a reason. After I completed 5 I gave up. To the free table they went. All but the polyester blend fabrics, they went to the trash.
Oh I disagree that no one would want our stash. Old and dated doesn't necessarily detract from its appeal, and dusty can be washed.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

I've thought about it many times, but never actually did anything. Maybe I will write something down. Thanks.