Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Journal? >

Quilt Journal?

Quilt Journal?

Old 10-02-2017, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
I use a blog.
Me too, but didn't start it right away. I should have so I could have seen my skills progress, even though the progress has been small.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:58 AM

I use a graph paper notebook for my quilts. I sketch the entire project or at least a preliminary sketch. This helps me plan out all the pieces that I need to cut in terms of dimensions and number. Usually, I also draft a plan for how to sew the parts together. Also, lately I include stitch selection in terms of what did or did not work and any comments about useful modificatons. Based on the comments of others, I will start including photos of the finished projects.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:27 PM

Love that cat !!!
Old 10-02-2017, 01:49 PM

Wow! Everyone has such fabulous ideas about journaling and how to do what works for them. I'm intrigued by all the different ways to document all the information that could be useful and interesting later on.

I personally don't know if I would keep up with it over time, but I would sure like to try. I can't decide if I would like a physical or digital version better. A blog would be kind of neat. I don't think anyone else would be interested in what I'm doing, but it would be a good way to keep track of everything.

I've got loads of information now to think about though and I really appreciate everyone's input. Thank you bunches!
Old 10-02-2017, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jencarter View Post
Wow! Everyone has such fabulous ideas about journaling and how to do what works for them. I'm intrigued by all the different ways to document all the information that could be useful and interesting later on. ......................
That's the critical part ... you need to find what works for you, around the parameters of the info you want to journal/document.

I don't have a formal journal, as some do.
I have taken pictures of all quilts once completed.
Where are they? stored in my computer!
I did start a scrapbook of sorts, but as far as that got were photos printed, and never set in place, just set into the plastic sleeves, along with any invoices I had for LAQing payments. My intent was to put the basic stats with the photos .... size, pattern name along with my name for the quilt, samples of the fabrics. Nope hasn't happened. Maybe someday?

What I have done well ... a spiral notebook at the sewing machine. It's nothing pretty and with just simple hand written notes, mostly for machine quilting. Info noted: project name, date, needle type/size, stitch # used, threads, tension, foot used, batting type/brand, etc. Sometimes other info is included, such as measurements if I am doing some calculations, but most time, that doesn't get documented beyond the scrap piece of paper I do it on. Or if I have changed a pattern, any special notes that I may want to keep for the future. What works well is that with this FMQing documentation, I refer to info from an earlier quilt, to set my machine up, then do some practice work before tackling the "real" quilt! Gets me to the actual job at hand a lot faster, just by using it as the starting point.

.................. Yes, someday, I may get serious and do the photo scrap book ........
Old 10-02-2017, 08:42 PM

I have been thinking of doing something like this for machine quilting ideas. Right now I am trying to get caught up, but maybe later, when I get organized...
Old 10-03-2017, 01:15 PM

I use the planner from http://quiltersplanner.com/. It's very handy for me. i am able to keep my appointments, bills and quilting plans all in one place. It might be a little pricey for some, but I think it is worth it.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

If you are storing your info on a computer -

Computers have been known to quit unexpectedly and all the info that was stored there goes down with it. Sometimes one can rescue some of it, but that's very inconvenient.

You might consider printing out some of the important stuff.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-01-2018 at 07:08 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 10-04-2017, 08:14 AM

I started a sort of a hard copy scrapbook for my quilts for a couple of reasons: 1) I was curious about both my grandmothers quilts, and there was no record or notes about either of them or their accomplishments. 2) I give most of my stuff away and forget about it, but once in a while I like to remember what I made and give myself a little credit, (I've been told I forget to do that sometimes). My scrapbook contains pics of the quilts, sometimes with the recipients, along with miscellaneous notes about their creation - whatever was striking me at the time. It might have been the fabric, the pattern, the quilting challenges, whatever. That stated, I'm about 2 years behind in this journal/scrapbook AND I wish I'd been a little more systematic about the details for later reference, such as type of bat, piecing or quilting difficulties and the solutions I came up with, specific pattern names, ideas for the next time, etc. I have the pics of all my last 2 years work, just need to get them developed and into the record. Your post is encouraging me. I do think it's great on many levels to keep track of your accomplishments, so have fun whatever format you choose!
Old 10-04-2017, 01:20 PM

I use a blog also.

Pros:

I can post as many or as few details and photos as I like.
I can share with my out-of-area friends and family, and they can read it at their leisure.
It's accessible anywhere, anytime, and not susceptible to damage from fire, hurricane, flood, etc.
I can print my blog into a hard-back book. I like to do this at the end of every year.

I can't think of any cons.

Last edited by Peckish; 10-04-2017 at 01:22 PM.