Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What iron to buy? >
  • What iron to buy?

• What iron to buy?

Old 10-02-2017, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelady
    Wow, glad I took a look at this. I think I will look into the Maytag Iron, about $45 on Amazon. At the least I will always look for the stainless steel plates. I had an Oliso, overheated and fried with 3 months. so never spending tons of money again. I currently have a Black n Decker from Walmart, has worked well, but the teflon (?) plate is a mess now, wearing off and not allowing me to iron smoothly. Has lasted me 6 years for, what?.. $19 or $29. Can't beat that!
    Maytag M-800 $45.66 on Amazon has the same tangle free cord and same auto shutoff as the Hamilton Beach I just purchased for $25.62 but has the stainless steel sole plate, which I prefer. It also has a removable water tank, which I don't care one way or the other about. It also has the 2 year guarantee. (The M-400 doesn't say anything about auto shutoff, which for me is a must have.) I'm going to return the Hamilton Beach and get the M-800 for the $20 difference, so I can have the stainless sole plate. Oh, I forgot to say, both irons have 8 ft. long tangle free cords. No extension cord needed now.
    Old 10-02-2017, 04:01 AM
    Power Poster

Hi Jan, I no longer buy expensive irons. My cheap Panasonic has been going for years!

Oops- didn't realize you alread bought and hate your iron! Mine isn't a cordless. It's a really old one.

Last edited by SusieQOH; 10-02-2017 at 04:03 AM.
    Old 10-02-2017, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe
    I love my Oliso. And when it breaks I'll get another.
    I love my Oliso too. I bought two extra ones when they were on special in case they're ever taken off the market.
    Old 10-02-2017, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Just Jan
    Maytag M-800 $45.66 on Amazon has the same tangle free cord and same auto shutoff as the Hamilton Beach I just purchased for $25.62 but has the stainless steel sole plate, which I prefer. It also has a removable water tank, which I don't care one way or the other about. It also has the 2 year guarantee. (The M-400 doesn't say anything about auto shutoff, which for me is a must have.) I'm going to return the Hamilton Beach and get the M-800 for the $20 difference, so I can have the stainless sole plate. Oh, I forgot to say, both irons have 8 ft. long tangle free cords. No extension cord needed now.
    The iron I have is no longer available. It is quite old but still going strong. I am not familiar with the lower price model but maytag has always been a quality product in my humble opinion. I have the cordless one and like it very much!
    Old 10-03-2017, 04:24 AM

I bought an Oliso several years ago and we had a delightful relationship until it died recently. I loved the lift feature, increased safety factor and long cord. Just hated the price! Was delighted to find out yesterday that Oliso will replace/repair (their discretion) any iron even if you’ve had it more than a year. Cost is $70. Found a coupon which reduced it to $60. You pay shipping there...free ground shipping back. Took 1 phone call and several emails. Had it in the mail within 2 hrs of intitial call. It fits in flat rate med box..2 day shipping and tracking #. So for a total of $73, I will get a new iron in a couple weeks. Totally delighted with their customer service. No mention of this policy on their website but it’s great info so spread the word!

Last edited by psquared52; 10-03-2017 at 04:26 AM.
    Old 10-03-2017, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by psquared52
    I bought an Oliso several years ago and we had a delightful relationship until it died recently. I loved the lift feature, increased safety factor and long cord. Just hated the price! Was delighted to find out yesterday that Oliso will replace/repair (their discretion) any iron even if you’ve had it more than a year. Cost is $70. Found a coupon which reduced it to $60. You pay shipping there...free ground shipping back. Took 1 phone call and several emails. Had it in the mail within 2 hrs of intitial call. It fits in flat rate med box..2 day shipping and tracking #. So for a total of $73, I will get a new iron in a couple weeks. Totally delighted with their customer service. No mention of this policy on their website but it’s great info so spread the word!
    Really glad to see this post as I just last week received my new Oliso. Thank you from the bottom of my wallet.
    Old 10-03-2017, 04:51 AM
    Power Poster

Ever since I watched Jenny Doan's tutorials I wanted an Oliso iron but I read reviews that changed my mind. They look like fun to use. Their customer service does sound good.
    But it seems that some of you really like them. I got burned on expensive irons after my Rowenta died on me after a year. And their customer service is horrible.
    Old 10-05-2017, 01:44 PM

Just came back from a retreat that supplied 2 Oliso irons. There were a couple of frustrating things about them:

1. Everyone kept standing the irons up on their butts instead of sitting them on the faceplates, which made them turn off.
    2. When I'm pressing seams, I will let the iron sit and press one section while I prepare the next section, then move the iron to the new section and so forth. But the second I take my hand off the Oliso iron to work with the seams, it lifts up and stops pressing. So I spent twice as much time at the ironing stations as I normally would have simply because I had to stand there with my hand on the iron.

Once I got home and went back to my own personal iron, I kept leaving it on the faceplate instead of standing it on its butt.
    Old 10-05-2017, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Just came back from a retreat that supplied 2 Oliso irons. There were a couple of frustrating things about them:

1. Everyone kept standing the irons up on their butts instead of sitting them on the faceplates, which made them turn off.
    2. When I'm pressing seams, I will let the iron sit and press one section while I prepare the next section, then move the iron to the new section and so forth. But the second I take my hand off the Oliso iron to work with the seams, it lifts up and stops pressing. So I spent twice as much time at the ironing stations as I normally would have simply because I had to stand there with my hand on the iron.

Once I got home and went back to my own personal iron, I kept leaving it on the faceplate instead of standing it on its butt.
    Some good points to think about. I had considered that iron a couple years ago and the dealer refused to sell it to me. Said they had too many of them come back and that after a few months the springs went bad and the manufacturer didn't stand behind them. The dealer was the same person who sold me three of my sewing machines, so I trusted his judgement and crossed Oliso off my want list!
    Old 10-09-2017, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Just Jan
    Maytag M-800 $45.66 on Amazon has the same tangle free cord and same auto shutoff as the Hamilton Beach I just purchased for $25.62 but has the stainless steel sole plate, which I prefer. It also has a removable water tank, which I don't care one way or the other about. It also has the 2 year guarantee. Also has tangle free cord. No extension cord needed now.
    Its supposed to arrive in two more days. I'm anxious!