Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting in a Camper or RV? >

Quilting in a Camper or RV?

Quilting in a Camper or RV?

Old 10-06-2017, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lafpeaches View Post
I usually have hand projects ready. I do have an sew ez table and a featherweight that I sometimes take that I set up outside under the awning. Sometimes I do use it inside but not really comfortable cause our camper is only 21 feet. We may be buying a bigger camper to do more extensive traveling when hubby retires next year. Planning on leaving out the dinette area for sewing area. We camp so much in rustic campgrounds so hubby has to set up the generator for electricity for the sewing machine.
Have you thought about using a hand crank sewing machine?
Old 10-06-2017, 01:20 PM

OH I can not wait to do this. Hubby retires in 8 months and we will be traveling all around. I have lots of ideas for sitting up my sewing machine. LOL I told hubby I will need my own generator.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:01 PM

Red face Full timing in our RV

Originally Posted by Sarasewsandstuff View Post
My dream is to RV full time and quilt around the country. Is there a group of quilters on here for that?
My husband and I left Canada on Dec. 1 last year so we have now been full timing for over 9 months. I only started quilting about 1 1/2 years ago just before we retired. As a new quilter I really have too many projects on the go already. Our RV is 36' long. Never having travelled in an RV before I was worried about storage before we left but I have managed just fine. My reserve storage is under the head of our Queen size bed. I also have one large cupboard beside our wardrobe that is just fabric and one 12" or 15" box on a bottom shelf that has my thread, tools, machine book, etc. I use the dinette - sometimes all of it and sometimes just half so that we can still eat at a table. I have a 1967 turquoise Singer that is set up all the time we are stationary and I have just bought a featherweight. We are leaving again this coming week and I have sewn up 200 "H's" and I will trim them and cut more fabric as we travel. (I need 288) The only problem will be if you are on the road and are ready to sandwich your quilt. Most RV parks have a hall with big tables but I have heard of some that charge you to use a table. The biggest thing will be power, if you are not in a campground generators are noisy and not always acceptable. Some RV parks have quilting groups and times.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:08 AM

I love quilting in our 5th wheel when we are camping. I have a generator, that I use a lot. It is pretty quiet and I have never had anyone complain about the noise. I usually cut everything that I will need and then sew up the tops of quilts and table runners while we are there. I have quilted the table runners and some baby quilts but have never tried quilting a full size quilt. I don't even want to try it. I use the dining table for sewing, the covered sink area for ironing (I have a small ironing board) and I use the couch or sometimes the bed for my design wall. I really like the views of the mountains or woods or lakes while I am sewing. I am always glad to get back home to my sewing room because there is so much more room, but I am always glad when we are packing up to go camping again, too.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:40 AM

Thank you so much, everyone! I love all of the encouragement and suggestions. I imagine piecing squares while camping and possibly putting the tops together, then renting longarm time to finish it. I found a FB group of RV quilters thanks to the suggestions here!
Old 10-07-2017, 09:05 AM

Our rv has no room for a machine, but I anticipated going to the RV Park’s quilting room to be with people, so I brought my machine. All spaces were taken before we arrived. I would often stop in and visit when out for a walk. One quilter was there every day and seldom uncovered her machine, another brought in a Rubbermaid storage cabinet and actually claimed 2 spaces for it. They suggested I buy a table and chair at Walmart and set up “by myself” in the Puzzle Room, adjacent to the Laundry. Another park was very welcoming, but the quilters reserve their lockers a year in advance, so no room for anyone there either. Not sure if all Parks are like this.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:24 PM

Do it before you are too old to drive. I would love to have a fifth wheel and travel, but still have my home to come home too at times, but at 83 and 86 my husband I are too old plus he has macular degeneration in one eye and does not see well enough to drive after dark and I know I am not capable of pulling a fifth wheel or parking it etc.

You will find a way to do some sewing, and quilting may not be like when you are at home but you will learn to do what you need to to have projects you can work on while on the road.

Happy quilting and hopefully happy rv'ing as well.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:51 AM

Not all parks and people are like this group. They are probably there every year and feel proactive of their space. Most parks welcome quilters and will share space with you. I would try to find another park.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:54 AM

We don't haul, but keep a seasonal rig at a campground. I leave one machine, a sew steady table, an iron, pressing board, cutting mat, rotary cutter and a shoebox full of other notions in the vintage (1983) Avion. I have found that I do more piecing when I am there than quilting. Just not enough space to manuever a quilt, so after the summer is when the "quilting" part gets done. A big part of RV quilting success for me, would be... "How easy is this to take out and put away?" ... Quilting in the house has dedicated space... quilt projects in the RV often have to be put away daily for normal life... I am always impressed by folks who have this figured out... Also depends on space available...
Old 10-10-2017, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
Our rv has no room for a machine, but I anticipated going to the RV Park’s quilting room to be with people, so I brought my machine. All spaces were taken before we arrived. I would often stop in and visit when out for a walk. One quilter was there every day and seldom uncovered her machine, another brought in a Rubbermaid storage cabinet and actually claimed 2 spaces for it. They suggested I buy a table and chair at Walmart and set up “by myself” in the Puzzle Room, adjacent to the Laundry. Another park was very welcoming, but the quilters reserve their lockers a year in advance, so no room for anyone there either. Not sure if all Parks are like this.
I'm so sorry that happened to you! That doesn't seem so friendly at all....