Simple Quilts

Old 10-07-2017, 07:22 AM

I agree with Toverly! ​ personally do not "overquilted quilts. They seem to be overdone and look stiff.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:57 PM

Did you mean is there a place in the modern world for simple quilts as a gift? You can gift me with one any time, Bearisgray!

I have learned that todays young moderns have definite ideas as to how they choose to decorate and what colors they do and don't like. I have a GS who has changed his mind 3 times over the past year as to the kind of quilt he wants and the colors. He wants a traditional quilt....he thinks! Consequently, he doesn't have one......!

I LOVE simple quilts. Many pieced and many colored quilts make my eyes go crazy....they are not calming to me.

Elaborately pieced, appliqued, etc. quilts with so much quilting that they feel like a board do not appeal to me......they're never used other than for show and many are packed away in acid free paper never to be seen again.

Currently I'm contemplating a solid piece of soft colored, gently printed fabric on which I think I'll applique a large flower and, that's it.....about as simple as you can get, calming and I will love it!

To each his own......................
Old 10-08-2017, 02:19 AM

I agree, and am just finishing up a Sister's Choice alternating with plain blocks. These are quilts people want to snuggle under and there are plenty of people wanting/needing them. By "simple", I'm also thinking of quilts that are simply quilted so that they retain their puffiness. The trend toward over-quilting isn't all that snuggly.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:43 AM

I was just thinking yesterday how far behind current trends I am in my quilting. I am self taught and try to advance my knowledge with every new pattern I try. I don't have the artistic ability to design nor the desire or finances to buy fancy equipment and computer programs so I make what I see and like. I love all the fancy quilting many of you do, but I love what I do as well. Simple, sometimes is more beautiful to me too. QUOTE=bearisgray;7920545]The quilts that have many intricately sewn pieces, fantastically quilted by a longarmer quilts are beautiful!

However, I am finding myself yearning for simply pieced quilts - maybe something like churn-dash alternated with plain squares - or a nine-patch alternated with plain squares - that are tied.

Is there still a place for quilts like that in the "modern" quilting world?

I'm looking for quilts that can be made with just a few different fabrics, and with a minimum of "fancy" equipment.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-08-2017, 04:05 AM

I have seen modern quilts that were simply one greatly enlarged block. Sometimes they are off center.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:14 AM

Our quilt club does hand quilting for customers and we do tied quilts for donation quilts and donate 3 tied quilts as prizes for our local Spelling Bee each year.
We raffle a hand quilted one every year at the Fiddler's Gathering. We also sell many tied quilts there as well.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:51 AM

Heavily quilted quilts are stiff--not cuddly. I'm practical and make quilts that can be used and enjoyed. Have seen some beautiful art quilts but I don't know what I'd do with them. I once heard that some big name quilters don't let any sun into their homes to protect the quilts. Not my style at all!
Old 10-08-2017, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

Definitely! More so then before possibly. I think there are a lot of simple quilts and patterns out there. Maybe these patterns have a more modern spin on them. I do think there is less tying of quilts but people do seem to like the look of it. Do you know of http://www.quilterscache.com/ there are lots of more traditional patterns and they are rated by ease. Please post your quilts. I am sure I am not the only one that would like to see them.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 10-08-2017 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:29 AM

I prefer simple quilts. I want to relax and enjoy the process, not stress over intricate patterns.
On the other hand, I have a friend that feels the more detailed the better! She enjoys the challenge of mastering an intricate block.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:01 AM

I love the 'simple' quilts. I truly love the 2 or 3 color quilts. And I still think there are few things prettier than a simple squares baby quilt made in the soft pastels.