Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
batting >

batting

batting

Old 10-08-2017, 05:14 PM

Default batting

I have a question. Our church group makes comforters from used sheets for the local homeless shelters and womens shelter. we make 11 inch blocks to the top and plain sheets for the bottom.

We recently changed from warm and natural batting - 100% cotton to Pellon 80/20 - as there is a big difference in the price - and our budget is nonexistant.

we are having difficulty with the batting. when it is sewed and ready to turn, we are finding that the batting seems to have stretched and is larger than the top and bottom layer. we find we are ripping out about half of our blankets.

does anyone else have this issue? we don't know if it is the batting or the method in which the person putting it together is doing it.

thank you for your thoughts.

any suggestions?
Old 10-08-2017, 05:19 PM

when you say you are finding it's stretched when you are ready to turn it, do you mean you are "birthing it"? not sure about that. my guild did a major charitable project and also found the Pellon 80/20 less expensive (they may have different levels of quality, I don't know) and found it Very linty on the LA.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-09-2017 at 02:24 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 10-08-2017, 05:24 PM

not sure what you mean by birthing it. personally all my quilts are on a frame - but we don't do that at church. the batting is laid out on the table, then the bottom is put on that and the top layer on that one. they are sewed around, leaving an opening for turning. when we get to stitching the last side, are finding that the batting is bigger or longer than the top and bottom. and we have to rip it out. i was not involved when they used the warm and natural but i did suggest the 80/20 as i use that (but a different brand) in my quilts. it is so much cheaper and we have no budget. some members of the group think the batting is stretching. i am not sure if it is the batting or the workmanship. any suggestions?
Old 10-08-2017, 05:28 PM

a bit of clarification - we are finding that the batting is bigger or longer when we do the top stitching on the finished blanket. there are rolls and wrinkles in the batting. which makes me think it is the workmanship and the pressure of the sewing along the sides pushes the batting to one end. not explaining this too well.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:54 PM

If you are stitching around the edge with the batting on the bottom, are you using a walking foot? If you are using a regular foot with the batting on the bottom, the lower feed dogs may be stretching the batting. Using a walking foot when stitching should help all the layers move as one.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:18 PM

thank you. no. the machines were donated years ago and probably cannot get different feet. the person who lays them out claims this never happened with the warm and natural but it is the 80/20. the layers are supposed to be hand pressed and smoothed and pinned every square - i don't think she is doing it. i have put together a double bed size (we normally do twin) and pinned it once, then gone over it a second time and stitched it at home. we will know later in the week if it is good.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:53 PM
Power Poster

I could never get a nice flat quilt when birthing. For me it is easier to do binding then birth quilts, the last lap quilt I tied with polyester batt, I put on my Q snap frame and then bound it.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by susiecute View Post
not sure what you mean by birthing it. personally all my quilts are on a frame - but we don't do that at church. the batting is laid out on the table, then the bottom is put on that and the top layer on that one. they are sewed around, leaving an opening for turning. when we get to stitching the last side, are finding that the batting is bigger or longer than the top and bottom. and we have to rip it out. i was not involved when they used the warm and natural but i did suggest the 80/20 as i use that (but a different brand) in my quilts. it is so much cheaper and we have no budget. some members of the group think the batting is stretching. i am not sure if it is the batting or the workmanship. any suggestions?
I also sew with a church group and while I make no claim to fame as a quilter, I am surprised at the number of people who can't sew and or follow directions!! That being said, it sounds as if you need a walking foot. We work with donated materials and have several vintage machines. I was able to find reasonably priced walking feet for two of them.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I could never get a nice flat quilt when birthing. For me it is easier to do binding then birth quilts.
I've found that too myself.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:19 AM

I agree with others, it's hard to "birth" a large quilt. There is too much play in between the fabric and batting on both sides. Sometimes binding is the best way to go.