Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Repair Bernina or buy something else? >

Repair Bernina or buy something else?

Repair Bernina or buy something else?

Old 10-12-2017, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
My older activa was going slow but it was the foot pedal. Would I pour more money after the $200 you already spent...not without some reassurance from the repairman that it would stay fixed. I might see if they would give me a decent price for it on a trade in to see if I could afford another.
I, too have the Bernina Activa 230. Tartan...did you end up getting a new foot pedal? The reason I ask is my foot pedal has started to go dead...and to fix it, I turn it over and press it a few times and then it works again..? I may need to get my ducks in a row for a new pedal. Thanks for you help
Old 10-12-2017, 03:52 AM

If that acted up after only a week, I'd take the machine back to the shop. I'd expect the dealer to stand behind their work. Maybe it is another part but I'd sure do some inquiring.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

I've had my Bernina 153 QE for 16 years and it runs like the day I bought it.
I hope you can resolve it. Berninas are made to last.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:34 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
There's two circuit boards on your Bernina. The L-print is the power board. The S-print is the brains. Sounds like they probably should have replaced the S-print. Those are a lot more expensive, and they probably wanted to try the less expensive route first. The S-print is $273 retail just for the part. There's a 5 year warranty on the circuit boards. The updated parts do have a better life than the ones they put in 9 years ago.

We're seeing a lot of 230s with power board failures. The common occurrence is that they all have been turned off for a long time -- 6 months to 3 years without being sewn on.
Annette,

What's your experience with the 180E's and boards? I have one that refused to power on several years ago - just a little backlight on the LCD screen but otherwise nothing. It was a low-hour machine (I'm the original owner) and hadn't been used in a few years. The local dealer said $1000 minimum to repair and they'd have to send my machine's actual board(s) themselves to be repaired and only 1 year warranty once done so I opted for a different brand replacement at the time.

Thanks,

Michelle
Old 10-12-2017, 04:50 AM

I must be the only one that would get it repaired. I have 2 a 200EQ and a 450EQ have never had a problem with either one and they are 12 years old. I think the Bernina is made to last.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:59 AM

I had the same problem with my Bernina Activa 240 several years ago, I did get it fixed but it took two motherboards and had it shipped to Milwaukee (my LQS paid for shipping) to do it. I have not had any problems for the last 2 years but I have not sewn as much as I was. I need to get back into sewing but work comes first. I look at the new ones but can't justify the $$ at the moment. I do have a backup Janome that I use for classes.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sJens View Post
I must be the only one that would get it repaired. I have 2 a 200EQ and a 450EQ have never had a problem with either one and they are 12 years old. I think the Bernina is made to last.
I totally agree.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:21 AM

I have a Bernina 930. It is 27 years old. The closest Bernina dealer told me they could not fix it. We drove a couple of hours to the shop we originally bought it from. The repair man had it fixed and running like new in 15 minutes. We were Navy so I could seldom take it to the original shop of purchase, but never had a problem getting it taken care of where we lived. I have a Bernina 730e artiste, almost 18 years old. Sews like a dream. After it’s yearly checkup I started having problems, took it back and both boards had to be replaced. The $700 to repair would not come close to another machine with the features my 730e has. But I have learned the new repair person at the closest shop does not have the expertise the guy in Pensacola has. The closer shop was trying real hard to talk me into buying a multi needle machine. This has left me wondering if I would have had to have both boards replaced if I had taken it somewhere else for it’s yearly checkup. I love my Berninas.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:55 AM

Hi Michelle,

$1000 is outrageous! And Bernina gives a 5 year warranty on all of it's circuit boards. I haven't seen a 180e with a bad circuit board, in the 8 years I've been servicing machines. But it does happen if the machine isn't used regularly. I've had a couple machines that will power up if left on for 24 hours.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

My Bernina Virtuosa 153 died. I took it to my repair guy and he said it would cost several hundred to fix it and he couldn't guarantee something else wouldn't go on down the line. Hated to give it up but for a little more than repairs could have run, I bought a Juki HZL-70HW. Feet are compatible with my Elisimo Gold. The Juki isn't a high end machine but it will serve the purpose.