Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Border Sizes >

Quilt Border Sizes

Quilt Border Sizes

Old 10-14-2017, 03:06 PM

I have to admit that I usually have to audition various widths of borders to see what pleases my eye. I do usually start w/ some multiple or divisor of the size of the block size. I think it makes the relationship between the border and blocks work better.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:06 PM

Mountainwoman, blaze a new trail. Do what you suggest, then post a picture. I don't think many of us follow someone else's rules to the letter. No reason you should. Looking forward to the results.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:31 AM

I don't follow 'rules' either. Sometimes what I do may seem to follow the rules, but it's not intentional. The design decisions I make are often ruled by what I have on hand.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:46 AM

Thanks for your response! I think that I, too, like the looks of a smallest-to-largest border, although in a log cabin throw I am ready to add borders, I want the largest border in the center to seriously pick up the main floral fabric in the quilt. As I said, I'm inexperienced in using borders, so this is a learning process. Anyway, could you share with us the App boy Robert Kaufman Fabrics that helps with lengths, etc.?
Old 10-15-2017, 07:50 AM

First, let me just say your quilt is just wonderful! I like the choices you have made for your borders; I note that it appears you will be going from smallest (the black) border to middle to the outside border being the largest, or at least that is what I think you are doing.

Thanks for your input AND the photo!
Old 10-15-2017, 07:53 AM

Thanks for your advice! I am afraid I tend to look for "rules" --born out of being a barely than more "novice" at quilting. My quilting group (we meet twice monthly and make quilts for those in need) is forever telling me there are no rules, or very few, and each quilt is a creative adventure!
Old 10-15-2017, 07:56 AM

Yes, that method makes sense to me -"starting with some multiple or divcisor of the size of the block size." That is a very helpful way for me to think about deciding on border sizes, followed by the advice several have given -audition potential borders and go with what looks good to me! Thank you so much for this helpful advice!
Old 10-15-2017, 07:58 AM

Thanks for your advice; it is advice I am given frequently by my quilting group. I'm trying to follow it; I just get in my own way sometimes!
Old 10-15-2017, 08:11 AM

Thanks! I am quite pleased with my quilt designs, usually, anyway, but I am having trouble trusting myself in terms of the use of borders. I will try! Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 10-15-2017, 08:19 AM

I like to think of "rules" as guidelines of what has worked in the past, but not inclusive of the only things that work. I agree that it is mostly intuitive and what looks good to you on any given quilt. I generally like a small framing border first, but not always. I think that is why the audition step is so important.

Do what you love and it will show!