Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing chair advise please! >

Sewing chair advise please!

Sewing chair advise please!

Old 10-14-2017, 07:22 PM

4-6 wks ago there was Bonnie Hunter post of 1 of her classes. 2 of the ladies had folding chairs on a platform with casters that raised it up 2-3 inches. When finished they could take the chairs off, fold & store with the platform. These ladies also created a seat cover out of selvages for these chairs.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:37 PM

So glad hubby came through for you!

A chair too high, and your feet cant reach the pedal.

I have a an old secretary desk that I got at an office supply recycle store, that has an attaching "L" desk where they use to put those giant typewriters. Remember those? The L desk is a few inches lower than the main desk....works great for me. But using what you have is always better than buying more stuff....at least for me.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I just re-did my sewing room and have a spot for my Juki for FMQ. The problem is my chair is not high enough. The table is our old kitchen table and when I sit at it with my office chair the highest it goes up is about 22 inches. It would be fine for regular sewing. My husband got it when he closed his lab and it's one of those really fancy ones, quite costly.

My husband looked at the legs of the table but they really can't be altered.
That chair works fine for sewing on my Bernina. But I heard that you need to be up higher for FMQ so that you don't get neck and shoulder aches.
I have another office chair but it only goes up to about the same.

What do you have? Any ideas are welcome.
Thanks!

Susie
I went to Office Depot and sat in the chairs that were on display! What a difference when you try them out.

I found one made entirely out of a open weave material that lets you get air all around you while seated. There was the option of keeping the arms on or off. I took mine off so the chair could fit under my sewing cabinet. The chair back had a curve toward the bottom that fit my lower back to avoid back strain. The height is adjustable. Love it!
Old 10-15-2017, 04:25 AM

My little Granny was barely 5 ft tall and used at least one pillow. For driving she sat on two and had one behind her back.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by jokir44 View Post
My little Granny was barely 5 ft tall and used at least one pillow. For driving she sat on two and had one behind her back.
My problem with sitting on pillows for driving....if I sit on pillows it raises me up too far to be able to reach the pedals! Same with sewing. If I have the chair raised up so that I can sew and see the needle properly, I can't reach the foot pedal. If I lower the chair to enable me to reach the foot pedal I have to sew with shoulders hunched up and can't see the needle properly. My husband made me a platform to put my foot pedal on but then I can't get my knees under the (office) desk due to a center drawer. I'm 4'10" . I think it's time to get a new sewing table.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
So glad you solved your problem. I don't have a problem with my office chair. Maybe I am taller than you.
If you are taller than 5'2" then you probably are My brothers are over 6 feet but my sister and I are littles But I guess the other way around wouldn't be too good!
Old 10-15-2017, 07:36 AM

When I travel to sew, and my machine has to sit on a table instead of in my sewing cabinet, I use a boat seat life preserver to raise myself up to a better level. It's about 3 inches tall. It is soft enough to be comfortable, but firm enough to actually raise me up.