Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Sewn Binding...Pictures? >

Machine Sewn Binding...Pictures?

Machine Sewn Binding...Pictures?

Old 10-15-2017, 06:08 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
This is a great video that I recently watched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQgjp4Upt8w

There is a "sweet spot" for that first stitch down. If you are using 2 1/2 inch binding, you need more than the 1/4" seam. It should be around 3/8". When you turn the corners you need to stop stitching at 3/8" for that perfect corner miter. Then fold and pivot as usual.

Are you able to move your needle on your machine? For my BL machine the setting is -3.0 for a 3/8" seam and the -2.75 is a shy 3/8" seam. I keep these settings on a small card by the machine.

Make some samples to try with your machine. Record the settings right on the samples for future use.

I stitch to the BACK first and bring around to front and use a decorative blanket or feather stitch on the front. It's easy to see where the stitches are as I sew. The back is already down and if the stitch line is off a bit on the back, no worries. My machine has a laser light so that helps me stitch a straight line.

Good luck!

PS: My quilter did the binding(by machine) on my last two quilts, easy and done. I had the quilt labels already made and she stitched those right into the binding at the corners. It was wonderful to receive completed quilts!
Thanks so much for the link to this video. It was educational and interesting to watch. I am going to have to try some small quilts with this method. Also want to try the "stitch to the back and decorative stitch to the front" technique. I think both of these would be handy to know and use depending on the quilt.
So glad you asked this question, Watson.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:53 AM

Ran across a video by The Gourmet Quilter (Love her stuff!) that was very well done, too. Now, instead of just watching video's, I should go and DO it.

Watson
Old 10-15-2017, 09:19 AM

Another trick is if you have a Bernina, the #71 Flat felled seam foot does great machine binding (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpl-7L4SEzM). I found this video one day while looking for info on improving my machine binding.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

I like to do "flanged binding" and sew it to the back first. When I bring it to the front I pin along the flange first and look on the back to make sure that my sewing line (straight stitch) misses the binding on the back. I use a matching thread to the backing fabric or something that will blend.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

Jungle Animals Baby Quilt

My stitching (that I did on the front) does show on the back, but it's fairly "even" all the way around.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

Since I donate most of my quilts to kids, I sew my bindings on by machine. I think they are stronger since I don't know how they will be used or laundered.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Ran across a video by The Gourmet Quilter (Love her stuff!)

Watson
I love The Gourmet Quilter. I think she's actually better at explaining and demonstrating because takes it all a bit slower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq2Q3F17lv0
Old 10-15-2017, 07:12 PM

If I'm using decorative stitching then I stitch first to the back and bring to the front. Otherwise I've found that I do better first stitching to the front, then folding binding to back, gluing it in place while I feel that it's matched with the front edge (just a smidge further in than the front seam) and pin. Then I very carefully stitch from the front, making sure that my seam falls into the ditch of the top & front binding. Most of the time I get a nice even seam in the back--I don't like doing big quilts this way as so much under the needle.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

I need to watch that video. Whenever I tried to bring it to the front and use a decorative stitch it comes out horribly. Thanks for the video!
Old 10-16-2017, 05:04 AM

If I want to sew my binding on by machine, I always stitch it to the back first and then I stitch it by machine on the front. i need to see where I'm stitching. When I can't, the results are garbage.