Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Air travel with Featherweight - need suggestions >

Air travel with Featherweight - need suggestions

Air travel with Featherweight - need suggestions

Old 10-26-2017, 05:21 AM

Just a word of caution - if your flight isn't non-stop, check the plane(s) you'll be on for the shorter legs. If you have to take a small plane for one of the legs of your trip, you may have to check your carry-on. Some planes are too small to fit many carry-ons and they make people check them.

I think a FW will fit under the seat on larger planes but I'm not sure it'd fit on those itty bitty commuter planes.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:17 AM

After watching the luggage handlers loading luggage and seeing a bag fall from the top of the conveyor belt about 15' to the ground, I never pack anything delicate in my checked luggage. As long as you can take it in a carry on, you'll probably be okay. Just watching putting it in an overhead. People cram stuff in those with no thought as to what else is in there.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:49 AM

Another option is a small Tutto bag. One of the owners of a LQS that I used to go to used a small Tutto. It has a metal frame that helps to protect the machine. She also left the machine in its case, so it was protected.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:59 PM

I'd call around and see about renting a machine locally.
Air travel is not kind to passengers and baggage, the less stress you create for yourself the better.

You could also ship the machine there and back. take it to one of those ups pack it stores.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:00 PM

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond. I definitely will look for small tote. @ Sewnoma, I do have a small plane for part of trip (not tiny), so I'll be sure to check with airline about that. I found a few cool things at Harbor freight and I'll check out Tutto (I see many quilters have these). Thanks again.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:44 PM

From experience - if you decide to ship it talk to the folks on the vintage board as they (we) have a lot of experience with shipping machines. For me, I'd never trust the UPS Store to do a good job unless they are very familiar with how to do it.

And if you leave it in the case, pack fabric or batting or whatever all around it so it can't shift at all. You should be able to turn the case upside down and have the machine stay put. At least a FW is rather light. You should see what a 35lb machine can do to a packing box when it's able to shift around inside.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:49 PM

I have seen on tv recently that airlines are going to start charging $25-35 for carry-ons. You might have to rethink this.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:52 PM

I have taken my FW on the plane several times. I used the original FW carry case and put it in the overhead. No problem with security or with airline. It did count as my carry on. It traveled quite well. And I loved having it with me in Hawaii.. LOL.. relaxing in the evening in the condo.. best ever. I did pack bubble wrap in around it and an old t shirt, just to make sure it stayed safe.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:04 AM

Are you strong enough to lift the machine into the overhead and then able to get it down successfully, too? That would be a consideration for some. It's great to have your own machine but renting one might be a lot easier and convenient.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:53 AM

I am concerned with weight, carrying it around in the original case, for me, the totes w/ wheels would be best. Actually have never thought about renting. I will ask to see if someone attending has a machine I could use. I would prefer my own machine, but this is only a 4 day event so might be best to borrow if possible. Also, now I'm worried about the small plane. I wouldn't hesitate if I were taking large plane and had great tote. Thanks to suggestions on this board, I checked out several rolling carts. I really like the small Tutto - 17" carry on size. They sure are pricy!