Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stretching/Exercises for Quilters? >

Stretching/Exercises for Quilters?

Stretching/Exercises for Quilters?

Old 10-27-2017, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
i do what Cranberry does. i also put my finger tips on the top of the door frame and "hang" by the tips while slightly bouncing on my tippy toes.
I had to giggle at this one, I am 6' tall, no bouncing on my tippy toes for me! lol
Old 10-27-2017, 08:31 AM

Anyone use those teeter spine things? It looks like a chair, but you lie down and then somehow end up upside down. Supposedly good for your spine. I don't have room for yet another piece of exercise equipment....has anyone been able to recreate that result using something else? I have a Total Gym...wonder if I could just "hang on a slant" with my head down and get some relief? I agree sewbizgirl.....I think my spine needs help!
Old 10-27-2017, 08:45 AM

Along with the neck and shoulders, you have to consider the hips and legs...most of us past 60 sit a LOT and I notice that my hip flexors are very tight. I have even begun to bend forward without meaning to...the best exercise for all this is to try to get on the ground, lie flat and just stretch, something like a baby in a crib...turn and stretch and listen to your body...some excellent and gentle body work will be found by going to YouTube and looking up Feldenkrais. Here's one link I like. https://www.youtube.com/user/2stunden
Old 10-27-2017, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by cranberry View Post
https://airawear.com/index.php/blog/shoulder-stretches/

I do an odd stretch a friend taught me. You go stand in a doorway and reach back to hold onto the door frame (hands placed with palms outward facing, thumbs up), and lean/hang forward. This stretches your upper arms, shoulders and chest and feels very good, at least to me.

It is similar to the #12 stretch on the site linked above <https: airawear.com="" index.php="" blog="" shoulder-stretches="">and they have a number of other good stretches shown too.</https:>
Thanks Cranberry for the link. Pose #10(Cow Face Pose) is one I was taught specifically for when working on the longarm but I think it would also be a good one when ironing or sewing for long periods of time.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:38 PM

Happy to help! I have hip flexor tightness too, and find that leaning out the doorway can help with that as well.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:21 PM

I recently purchased some yellow latex bands that help with stretching. You can use one cut or two. I used them to help loosen my shoulders and stretch my arms diagonally across my back.

https://www.amazon.com/TheraBand-Pro...ow+latex+bands
Old 10-27-2017, 06:44 PM

I teach a water wellness class at a local medical center--most of us have "old bones" and replacements (knee, hip) or back surgery. We use the curriculum from the Amer. Arthritis Assoc. Do get up from sewing at least once per hour (or if standing, sit down!) I cringe at retreats when I see people sitting for hours on end, even with their little tables and irons. Everyone has given great ideas. I'd add that standing and swinging your leg back and forth will help those hips, and tilt your head to the L & R--slowly, as if you were laying your ear to your shoulder--but keep shoulders level. Also tuck your chin to chest and then relax. Another is to hold arms bent with elbows waist high and palms parallel to the floor and swing your palms so that your elbows are "touching" in back--really helps the shoulders and back. And check out local hospital/medical centers/community centers for water wellness classes--you can do so MUCH more in the water than dry land! I could not walk without these classes and now that I'm teaching 8 hrs a week I feel great!
Old 10-28-2017, 09:52 AM

The main thing is...just do it . I do move around alot when sewing and purposely keep my iron in another room and my cutting in the kitchen (counter perfect height). I hope you find something that gives relief. One of my favourites is laying on your back on the floor, take a yardstick in both hands and raise my arms over my head trying to get as close to the floor with the ruler, once that is accomplished move the arms to the right until the ruler hits the floor, and back and forth. At first, it doesn't go very far, but after a few weeks, I can get the ruler right down.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:57 AM

Love.the yes no maybe so...thanks for sharing.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:35 AM

Great link from cranberry.

My chiropractor recommended the corner stretch to me, and it really helps. (It's shown in the link.) ALso the cat and camel (CAT--on all fours, you let your tummy sink while pulling your shoulder blades together; CAMEL--on all fours, round your back as far you can and hold it for 10 sec). Do those back and forth 10x for relief.

Pelvic tilts also help the lower spine and hips. Sit on the floor, hands behind you, feet shoulder-width apart and a little forward. Lift your pelvis in line with your knees, squeezing your glutes together. Hold for 5. IF you can't get on the floor, stand facing a wall, holding on, feet apart, and do the butt squeeze while tilting the pelvis up and holding the position for 5 . Don't do this around a man unless you want a different kind of exercise--haha.