Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Seriously...A Trash Can For Scraps >

Seriously...A Trash Can For Scraps

Seriously...A Trash Can For Scraps

Old 06-13-2016, 07:34 AM

make pillows for the homeless.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by shasta5718 View Post
Another way to save scraps is to recycle your Christmas popcorn tins, they are cute and you don't have them stacked up trying to find a use for them.
That is what I have been doing for years. Every once in a while I look in the tins when I am doing my floral applique.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:38 PM

line your trash can with trash bag. Line scrap can with colored pillow case or quilted bag, not as likely to toss wrong bag.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:19 PM

All these are great storage and sharing ideas. Remember, one mans trash is another man's treasure. Mindless stitching of crumbs on adding machine paper or phonebook pages will have you ready for a quick donation quilt or baby quilt should the opportunity arrive. And a spare scrap quilt is always welcomed at the homeless shelter.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

I'm probably the oddball here. I have very few scraps- reason being by the time I finish a quilt I'm so sick of the fabrics I used that I donate them. I happened on it when I redid my room and realized I never touch my scraps- then I realized why.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:00 AM

It's a great idea, but you just want to be sure that it can't be mistaken by other family members as actual trash. Sometimes you get helpers and there you are - scraps are lost!!

I just have a leftovers plastic bin for fabric scraps and a beer box for leftover batting and those are both marked. Pretty boring compared to your idea!

I also have a lot of UFOs, but I know I will finish them. Eventually.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:21 AM

Fun, inventive, practical; I love these ideas!
Old 10-28-2017, 10:32 AM

I wish there was someone I knew that would use my scraps. I save them - send them to people on the QB every so often.

It would be nice if there was a place on the QB where people could list their request for scraps. Like the people that want the patriotic fabrics, sports fabrics, and so on. Even post pictures of their quilts so we can see that they are really using them.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I wish there was someone I knew that would use my scraps. I save them - send them to people on the QB every so often.

It would be nice if there was a place on the QB where people could list their request for scraps. Like the people that want the patriotic fabrics, sports fabrics, and so on. Even post pictures of their quilts so we can see that they are really using them.
You can list them in the section for freebies, etc. (forgot the name of it) I just donated a bunch of fabric that way. The people pm me with their info.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:36 AM

Our church quilt group has small clear bins labeled with common scrap sizes so at home I have larger baggies with matching sizes written on the bag. I take full bags to church and add to the bins. Except 2.5” strips, I use them. I used to be afraid of cutting up my left overs, thinking I would use them “someday”. Now I cut them up & haven’t regretted it yet.