Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
fabric measure tool >

fabric measure tool

fabric measure tool

Old 10-26-2017, 11:22 PM

Yardage calculator
My friend's father went all over the HawaiIan Islands maintaining and calibrating them.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:12 AM

awe yes I remember. Both in fact.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:35 AM

Yes I remember that nip/cut and the clerk then ripping the fabric at that place or cutting it if it wasn't cotton.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:45 AM

Oh Dunster do I ever remember, like it was yesterday! Fabric was always torn not cut at the store. Love it
Old 10-27-2017, 04:39 AM

Oh what memories that brought back, I have bought fabric measured on one of those. Granted it has been many years ago and I guess I am showing my age by admitting to this, but it was really neat to watch the ladies measure fabric on one of those as a child and later when I bought some.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I remember those!! As I recall it also made a nip/cut on the fabric. The clerk would then use this cut as the starting point to rip the yardage for sale.
You are right. There is a little lever that the clerk would push for the measure tool to put a nip/slit in the fabric at the point where the customer wanted the fabric sale to stop. Then the clerk would tear the fabric at the slit.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:56 PM

In high school, I worked at a So-Fro fabric store (anyone remember those?) and we used the fabric measuring machines. I always think about them when I go to JoAnns and watch the clerks measure against a yard stick (I'm always watching to make sure they get the measurements right!) and wonder why they aren't used anymore. I think they were much more accurate.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:20 PM

I had forgotten about these. I remember the clerks using these to measure yardage and it would make the cut and they would tear the rest of the way. Maybe 50-60. Years ago!!
Old 10-29-2017, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by cat-on-a-mac View Post
In high school, I worked at a So-Fro fabric store (anyone remember those?) and we used the fabric measuring machines. I always think about them when I go to JoAnns and watch the clerks measure against a yard stick (I'm always watching to make sure they get the measurements right!) and wonder why they aren't used anymore. I think they were much more accurate.
I remember So-Fro Fabrics. I was sad to see them go. I always found stuff I liked there.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I remember those. I also remember the pneumatic tubes that ran back and forth in the department stores carrying cash. And I remember buying beautiful fabric for 79 cents per yard. Too bad I didn't know to stockpile it back then...
I too remember the pneumatic cash machines used to convey cash from the registers up into the air to the above shoppers to the office in the Co-operative store in England. There is a similar set up still used today in our K-Mart - I happened to notice an assistant tucking notes into a container in a pole next to the cash register and asked if it was sending cash to the office? A similar system is used in hospitals for sending blood samples to the lab - they're so noisy that they made me jump whilst sitting in the waiting room??