Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
FW and 301 - machine quilting on them >

FW and 301 - machine quilting on them

FW and 301 - machine quilting on them

Old 10-29-2017, 12:11 PM

I have pieced and quilted on my 301s. I use the open toe foot. The machine is one of the fastest made, so it is perfect for FMQ. It has great visibility due to the slimness of the needle bar housing and being slant shank. I still quilt small items on it, even though I now have a long arm. Of all the machines I have ever used and owned, the 301 is the queen. I piece on mine all the time. The 221 is too slow for me except for paper piecing.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:11 PM

And don't forget -- for FMQ, the 301 has the capability of lowering the feed dogs.

For stitch in the ditch quilting on the 301 (which I do a lot of), I use a Singer brand slant walking foot that has no modifications, and it works fine for me.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:24 PM

Thanks again for all the great info! Sounds like the 301 is quite popular!! I just rearranged my sewing area and can probably use it more often because I can get to it easier than where I had it located previously. Looking forward to getting more comfortable with it.

FREE Quilting Newsletter