Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
design wall >

design wall

design wall

Old 11-02-2017, 04:23 AM

Because I have pocket doors on the sewing room, I put Command Adhesive Hooks above the door on the inside of the room and purchased the Fons and Porter Design Wall from JoAnns ( it has grommets) with a 60% of coupon. I can take it down when not in use and no one see's the hooks from anywhere except inside my room. Works for me.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:33 AM

I also tacked some batting to the wall. I will eventually get styrofoam to put up, and then either flannel or the batting again. The thing I don't like about the batting is it attracts strings, and needs to be cleaned off. I don't think flannel will do that.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
GENUS!!! Thank you Thank you QuiltE! ....................As soon as I can move that hutch away from the wall a couple of inches, I am golden.
Once again thank you so much for what I consider an absolutely genius idea!
Murphy
You're most welcome!
Other places til you get that hutch moved .... behind a couch!
Just take a few inches off the bottom of that 8 ft and you'll find it easier to work with.

Once you have come down off the ceiling with excitement and discover that you need more design wall space ...... corroplast is thinner, so you can store more of them behind a hutch. Plus, can hang it on the wall with simple picture hangers, if you want to stabilize them more so, than just leaning allows for.

I have a whole family of design walls .... started with taped to the wall, and soon sold myself on permanency. Love that! However, I next discovered that I never have enough design walls, so my next foray was the corroplast for the light weight and portability. I have them in so many different sizes now! And all of mine are covered in fleece.

Glad to have helped you figure out .... what you already knew, but just hadn't remembered!!!
Old 11-02-2017, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Bought 4 sheets of foam insulation . Was intending to hang them on the wall like a 4patch, but decide I like the portability of not hanging them. I cover them with Warm and Natural Batting .
Me too! Actually, two years ago I had a room set up and designated as my studio. It’s since been broken down, and I took down my walls. They now move around the house to where I need them at the moment. Currently, they are on the deck awaiting photography.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:40 AM

I have a wide-width piece of white flannel thumbtacked to my wall, on top of a couple layers of batting and some headliner foam. I like it thick enough that I can drive pins into it, so wagging doggie tails can't send lower blocks flying!

Next time I create a design wall, I think I'm going to put styrofoam behind it - I know I am hitting the wall with my pins sometimes even though I really try not to, I am not eager to see how that wall is going to look when I finally take it all down!

Last edited by Sewnoma; 11-02-2017 at 05:48 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:40 AM

I use foam insulation board with warm and natural batting. I cut it to 7 x 2 and used the part I cut off for a couple of small ones to use by my machine, They are1 foot x 1 foot.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Fleece has been my favourite for design walls for years.
I bought the real cheap rolled up fleece at Walmart, was $2.50 this week. I put one up at my bi-fold closet door, it kind of sticks to the door but tuck it in at top and sides. Works perfect for me as well.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:24 AM

2 large pieces of thick cardboard with a $3 fleece blanket from the dollar store. Taped the 2 pieces of cardboard together so it can be folded and used binder clips to keep fleece on it. Cheap and portable. Would like to find a folding room screen that could be decorative on one side and fleece on the other so it wouldn't look bad in dining room if company is over.[ATTACH=CONFIG]583290[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	design wall.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	353.2 KB
ID:	583290  
Old 11-02-2017, 01:33 PM

I use insulation covered with flannel. I have 2 of them and they are not fastened to the wall. I can move them around where I want. If I'm working on something smaller or just at the start of a project, I put one behind the other to save space. When the project is larger, I shut the closet door and put them side by side.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:01 PM

I like to stand back and look at what I am creating so the floor or bed will not work for me. My husband put up 2 sheets of insulation board and then we covered it with batting. Works great. It's the one thing besides my sewing machine I can't do without. Use it ALL the time.